Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It's not so much the errors themselves that I think is the main point in this video, it's more how easily even an experienced pilot can have a lapse in concentration and the fact it doesn't have to be caused by overload/stress.

I considered the learning points worthy of posting it here.

mick w, rats404, nallen and 1 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rule number one in mountainous terrain is - don't ever turn towards the mountain.

In both cases there were distractions leading to the error being made, in video one it was the desire to capture some good footage in video two it was the stress of having to land out and desperately wanting to avoid that.

Easily done.

Thanks for sticking it on here Misc.
Bobcro liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Rule number one in mountainous terrain is - don't ever turn towards the mountain.

Interestingly, FD, I thought had he initially turned towards the mountain he would have been less likely to have made the error. Granted it was an orbit more than a true turn and that's not unusual for gliders, so would feel natural to him.

Rather than the errors themselves I thought it very interesting how a simple error could be made when the flight was progressing very well with zero pressure. Contrasting that with an error the same pilot made when under pressure whilst throwing in to the mix a lot of flying experience was the lesson for me.

It can happen to anyone and not only when under pressure and approaching mental overload.