Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
2Donkeys wrote:
scottish_ppl wrote:Seeing this is a trial, would it not be a good idea to have a well advertised feedback form somewhere online for pilots to report their results?

I agree. Given the CAA's endorsement/support of this trial, I had expected there to be a rather more formal way of providing user feedback. Perhaps it isn't wanted/needed and the trial is being conducted by specific trial aircraft?

Endorsement and funding are different beasts I think.

Maybe this is a small team of folks trying to progress something bleeding edge less formally (at much reduced cost) rather than a large highly funded CAA project.
By Dave W
Ian Melville wrote:He gave up interacting with the forum/s. AFAIK he is still promoting UAT and ADSB-Out.

He was at pains before he left to emphasise that he intended still to be a champion for that.

Thankfully for us, his experiences here ( :( ) didn't colour that.
G-BLEW, Nick, gaznav and 1 others liked this
Going back to the original post, I am a bit mystified. I presume the "blue circle" on the top picture indicates the aeroplane's position - it appears to be about correctly located for Frome, thus agreeing with the aircraft position in the second image? The "blue circle" does NOT appear to correspond to the location of the UAT transmitter at SDHQ at Milbourne Port. But the location of the "transmitter icon" in the top image CERTAINLY does not correspond to Milbourne Port either - it is MUCH too far to the north west - west of the M5 and apparently somewhere near Taunton? It seems to me to indicate that, whatever the OP was picking, it was not Tim D's test transmitter?

Elsewhere (some while ago) Tim has talked about planning to move his transmitter to a better location as the SD offices are set in a valley (which compromises the reception range at typical GA altitudes, but Tim has not made any announcement of the relocation actually taking place? What's the score on that front, Tim?

The only other explanation I can imagine is that (since AFAIK the UAT data stream includes the co-ordinates of the transmitting station - and indeed, if not, how could the Garmin in the original post know where to display its icon for the transmitter position?), for some reason (intentional or otherwise) the Milbourne Port transmitter is set up in a way that spoofs its own position?
By 2Donkeys
Chippie

In the first image, the blue circle represents the location of the transmitter (not the picture of the tower)

The zoom factor of the image is sufficiently high that I am not sure that you can correctly opine on whether the blue circle is, or is not, in the correct position.

The second picture is a nav display and offers no information as to the location of the transmitter. Its significance is only that it shows an error that no FIS-B data is being received.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
There are no current plans to move the first transmitter. Applications have been made for a further two transmitters elsewhere in the south which will have far greater range.
Dave W, ianfallon, 2Donkeys and 5 others liked this
Hi all, the trial has been a bit of a "soft launch" as we learn from some of our experiences with the turn-up of the first transmitter. We received OFCOM permission just this week to add two additional ground stations - one at Redhill Aerodrome, and one at Goodwood Aerodrome.

We felt we needed a bit more geographic coverage to have a successful trial. Those additional sites should be stood up in January, if not before. At that point, we will make a bit more noise about the trial and provide some means for feedback. Consider us ironing out the kinks before the flying season picks up again after the new year.
Dave W, Marvin, scottish_ppl and 5 others liked this
By Lefty
Might I suggest that those two locations are less than optimum as they are surrounded by hills - which will limit their range.

If you can perhaps try to locate transmitters at higher locations - for example on the racecourse at the top of the hill at Goodwood, or at Dunkeswell or Wycombe ?
Thanks, we definitely hope to expand even further. Goodwood and Redhill were chosen for a couple of strategic reasons:

1. Proximity to London (Redhill) for official visits (CAA, etc.)
2. Both airfields are involved with other uAvionix SkyEcho trials - so there will be a population with equipment that can observe the weather data.
3. Although perhaps not quite contiguous, the Redhill, Goodwood, Milborne Port locations will provide a larger geographical area together, rather than separate pockets.
When Tim mentioned wanting an alternative to Milborne Port down in its valley, i though he had his eyes set on Compton Abbas, not a million miles from Milbourne Port and on top of a good hill! Looked a no-brainer to me!