Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Albert Ross
A brief reminder that the Royal Aeronautical Society’s Annual General Aviation Conference will be taking place two weeks from today at the RAeS London HQ. The twin themes this year are powertrains and avionics. Topics include Electric and Hybrid Propulsion Systems, Electronic Conspicuity and Upset Recovery Approaches and Techniques. Full details on the RAeS website.

https://www.aerosociety.com/media/7008/ ... gramme.pdf
I'll be there, but it may be my last. I went to the ever first Light Aircraft design Confrence, and all since, but that seems to have run it's course. The design element is now somewhat lacking with respect to affordable projects. Not disinterested in the programme, just won't be able to use anything I learn.
I've been to many, and organised a few in the late 90s/early naughties when I was on that committee. However, I am going this year.

I do worry that it's lost its way a bit. The speakers all seem to be "by invitation" and basically all chums of the committee, rather than either asking the broader community what they are interested in, or throwing out an invitation say 6 months before to potential speakers to see who has something to say, then sifting?

Certainly even as a very academically inclined aeronautical engineer, I am not deeply interested in yet another presentation on somebody's latest clever use of computer code, with limited engagement with real aeronautics.

Nonetheless it does provide an excellent opportunity for people of a certain mindset to get together - and well done to the group for finally winning the battle we lost when I was on the committee: getting it at an affordable price at Hamilton Place. The recent history group day on Sandys was similarly affordable, so the society has clearly seen value in making certain conferences affordable for non-professionals (or people in their own time and wallet) to attend.

G
The programme for the 2018 RAeS Light Aircraft Design Conference has now been finalized. The theme this year will be 'On The Lighter Side'. Taking on board the previous comments, there will also be a call for papers for the 2019 conference. The conference will be at the RAeS HQ at Hamilton Place on Monday 19th November. Full details here: https://www.aerosociety.com/media/9544/ ... gramme.pdf