Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
In fact you've probably all seen it on the RV forum but..

Visicover put one owner's insurance up by £150 so he thought he'd respond to Trafford's recent campaign to insure with them.

The underwriters refused even to quote, as he was past their age 65 cut-off for new business.

I suddenly feel very old.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Nomad63
The underwriters refused to even quote, as he was past their age 65 cut-off for new business

The underwriters or the brokers? (I know the brokers will allways say it is a limitation of the underwriters, but....... :wink: )
Maybe that's a way of telling you RV's are a young man's aeroplane??

This seems to be an extension downward in age of the age limit imposed by some insurers. I know that some flying clubs have to inform the insurance company of the name and details of older pilots as the insurance deliberately does not cover pilots over a certain age. It seems the insurers or brokers expect a claim from older pilots so at least want a chance to cover their loss with some premiums first.

Any data to substatiate that older pilots are more dangerous??
By romille
I find it very strange that any business would exclude an ever growing group of people that have free cash to spend as they see fit. Sounds like an organisation with a limited future. I could understand them putting restrictions on people with certain health conditions, until recently most older pilots had an annual medical and bi-annual ECG and most probably still do, it seems to me that using age is utterly senseless. I suppose it might make more sense if they just refused to insure older pilots who self declared, but for me the only thing that they need to look at is a pilots claims record.
Last edited by romille on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
Russ_H wrote:
The underwriters or the brokers? (I know the brokers will allways say it is a limitation of the underwriters, but....... :wink: )

Well I am sure John Michie won't mind me reposting the response from Traffords

Unfortunately underwriters have actually declined to provide a quotation because I’m afraid you do not fit their new business acceptance criteria which only includes pilots up to the age of 65.
I’m sorry that we are unable to assist with your enquiry.

Rob P
By romille
A quick Google tells me that 18% of the population is 65+ and 63% are in the 16 to 64 range meaning you are excluding about 25% of your prospective business. I imaging based on my experience that percentage will be greater in pilots, so think that its a strange business decision that they might need to rethink rather soon.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If everyone of 65 and older is suddenly uninsurable (that includes me) this will wipe out a vast swathe of GA overnight.

The insurers will then either have to shut up shop, adjust their premiums, or their criteria, or the CAA will have to remove the mandatory requirement for insurance before they too have no one left to regulate.

Is a 100 hour 21 year old PPL a better insurance risk than greybeard veteran who’s been flying for donkey’s years?

The motoring insurers certainly regard the latter as safer drivers.
Temp liked this
By romille
I think once the insurer and broker begin to see the impact on premium income they might have a rethink of their criteria. In my experience most GA aircraft are owned by the older generation, younger pilots tend to rent or are in groups with older pilots so the effect on business by turning away over 65's could be devastating.
By Rob P
flybymike wrote:
The motoring insurers certainly regard the latter as safer drivers.

Have you tried hiring a car when over 70?

Rob P
By romille
I don't think the equality act applies to selling insurance and certain other commercial transactions as it is based on risk and experience in the same way that men can get slightly better annuity rates because of life expectancy.
By Dominie
romille wrote:I don't think the equality act applies to selling insurance and certain other commercial transactions as it is based on risk and experience in the same way that men can get slightly better annuity rates because of life expectancy.

But it was only in the last year or so that car insurance for young women went up as insurers were forbidden from making a distinction between men and women., even though young men were proven to be a worse risk than young women.

But back to the original post, is this RV-specific or does it apply to everything?
Lindsayp liked this