Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ben K
From the above link ;

A new fast-track appointment booking service will be available from 11 December replacing the current same-day counter service.

This optional fast-track appointment service will be available to all pilots at a cost of £100

Applicants who do not wish to pay for a fast-track service can still choose to apply to have their licence issued by post, which takes around 10 working days at no additional cost

So it's an optional £100; but the other option is the "old" slow service?

Brilliant. :evil:

Edit; on further reading, seems like they're trying to encourage people onto the e-licensing scheme....
By Balliol
E licensing seems to be professional pilots only, and CAA annual report confirms less than 30% applications are met within 10 working day timescale. I think they should get the e licensing up and running and embedded before rolling out the big fees.
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
blimey, for that amount I would expect a 3 course meal to be served while I am waiting, in a recently opened ground floor restaurant (situated in the area in front of the current Costa)

It would be gold plated cutlery at that price, naturally.
velostar liked this
By Gertie
If you've decided it's worth a day off work you've already lost a day's income and a train fare, and a hotel the night before if you don't live within not-very-far of Gatwick, so another £100 might be noticeable but it's still only a fraction of the total cost of deciding to go there in person rather than use the post.
By UV
Post Offices do a similar "check and send", as proposed by the CAA, for Passport applications.

£9.75, including special delivery,and no £200 on the day fee...

Whilst I would support a "priority" fee, the apparent wholesale withdrawal of the free counter service is appalling.

As has been said it is all about money making ...just as is 5 year licences...
By SteveC
I don’t see the issue. If it’s a class or type Rating then I issue the rating straight away and the candidate has 8 weeks to use the rating while the licence is Re issued. What else is so desperate that people need to go to the Belgrano for these days?
By Rob L
SteveC wrote:I don’t see the issue. If it’s a class or type Rating then I issue the rating straight away and the candidate has 8 weeks to use the rating while the licence is Re issued. What else is so desperate that people need to go to the Belgrano for these days?

FI rating?