Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Nomad63
PeteSpencer wrote:I met the guy who owns the land next to our strip yesterday: He'd just been out after Hare Coursers who turned up on his land.
He tells me his son has bought a six foot drone for surveillance purposes and was shocked when we told him it could easily take out our arrer.

Peter

My bold:

This is the type of reaction that worries me, a land owner, presumably considered a mature upright member of his locality ..........and is shocked, his sons drone could be any problem to aircraft in the adjoining field?

People just don't seem to have any consideration for others these days and thats what will make Drones a problem

P.S. 6 foot????
By pingmart
riverrock wrote:Find his public social media pages and post details about it being illegal. It could be just boasting. Assuming he ignores the advice, then report.

If you don't want to be the one who reports him, just send me the details on a PM and I'd happily do my civic duty making sure the skies I'm learning to fly in are moron-free.

Pretty sure both Stansted airport and other close by airfields like North Weald, Stapleford, etc. would have some sort of personal interest in resolving this nonsense asap and might actually have better ways of getting the authorities on his a**.

Martin
By Thumper
my main observation here is condemning a person when the facts are heresay?

also, im an advocate in the first instance of educating the person just in case they really have no idea how dangerous their activity could be. I also respect the view that they could be completely stupid and need throwing to the dogs; by default, facebook posts could be ensuring the person is hanging themselves on their own.

the one time i have seen a drone flown at close quarters, the screen did warn of airspace restrictions. do many show this or just the more expensive ones?
By pingmart
Thumper wrote:my main observation here is condemning a person when the facts are heresay?

also, im an advocate in the first instance of educating the person just in case they really have no idea how dangerous their activity could be. I also respect the view that they could be completely stupid and need throwing to the dogs; by default, facebook posts could be ensuring the person is hanging themselves on their own.

the one time i have seen a drone flown at close quarters, the screen did warn of airspace restrictions. do many show this or just the more expensive ones?

Neither myself, nor the police will go after someone just based on "Y said, X told him that Z was doing bla bla". I should have made myself clear - if there are FB posts of the drone doing what's been mentioned above and the friend of the friend is unwilling to report them, because of their friendship, then I'd rather potentially save someone's life and do the right thing :)
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeteSpencer wrote:I guess he could buy a scanner and listen out on safetycom. :wink:

Not a bad idea.

A 6ft drone sounds like it could easily carry a PilotAware. If you had one in the aeroplane (I believe you've got one) then you could see it on "radar".

hatzflyer wrote:Quite frightening really. Went to North Weald on Saturday, the market was on,every man and his dog seemed to be there , every other one had a new drone under their arm ! Wait 'till Boxing day !

North Weald itself has model flying on one side of the aerodrome.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sooty25
@hatzflyer If he has posted evidence of flying above 400ft, report him and feel no shame.

Do it as "self preservation" if you must. It could be you that hits him at 2000ft next weekend if not.

Check his facebook page, and email the link to those mentioned previously. Above 400ft is OUR airspace, its bad enough having the lunatics between 0 and 400ft.

As for 40ft over a garden, if it happened more than once I'd probably build a net launcher using compressed air, with a line attached. 1. its quieter than a shotgun 2. I'd stand a chance of recovering it for proper disposal without evidence!
By rikur_
Cessna57 wrote:
The Police said they weren't interested.

The lady I spoke to said "that's a new one, not heard of one of these phoned in before, I suppose we could log it in some way ? Do you think it's illegal ? How would we catch them ? What an interesting call"

Thread drift .... In my recent experience of reporting illegal parking abeam double white centre lines I had to quote the relevant sections of the Road Traffic Regulation Act to the police, as initially they tried to pass it off as 'a parking offence and therefore a civil matter' ... to their credit, once I'd explained the law to them, they seemed willing to vigorously enforce it - but at least 3 other locals had been fobbed off with dud advice before they got me involved.
Seems like some police have the same difficulty as some GA pilots keeping up to date with legislation ;-)
By Paul_Sengupta
What about the police's own?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/41608273/drones-tasked-with-catching-bad-drivers

I know there are some forumites in Bordeaux.

Also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41635518

A drone has collided with a commercial aircraft in Canada, the first such incident in the country, according to the Transport Ministry.

The drone struck one of the plane's wings, while six passengers and two crew members were aboard.

The aircraft sustained only minor damage and was able to land safely, the Canadian transport minister said.

Earlier this year, Canada announced that it was making it illegal to fly recreational drones near airports.

The law prohibited airborne drones within 5.5km (3.5 miles) of an airport and restricted the height of a drone's flight to 90 metres (300ft).

Those breaking the restrictions could face fines of up to 25,000 Canadian dollars ($20,000, £15,000).

The Skyjet flight was heading to Quebec City's Jean Lesage International Airport when the drone hit it on 12 October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-41627552

A drone put 130 lives at risk when it passed directly over the wing of an aircraft approaching Gatwick Airport, a report has revealed.

A UK Airprox Board report said the drone was "flown into conflict" with the Airbus 319 on 9 July and said there was a high risk of a collision.
By T67M
Against my better judgement, and based in part on comments on this forum, I filed an airprox after a recent encounter with a drone at 1400' just outside the Gatwick Zone. A few hours later, several airliners in the same area were diverted due to a drone just inside the zone. According to the Airprox Board, the drone was allowed to be there and I should have avoided it... :wall: