Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The CRI SE is of limited use. An FI course gives the instructor far greater skill and knowledge to teach students properly. Having been a TRI/TRE/CRI on several single and multi crew types over 20+ years I then became a CRI SE. However, the knowledge gaps for PPL holders are usually caused by poor initial training, our old friend primacy; a CRI is not particularly well placed to help them as Type and Class training is not primarily about learning to fly. I subsequently did an FI course and have never looked back. Pay is low (£20 per Hobbs hour) but I don't really do it for the money; that's what the day job is for. Doesn't matter whether you're a 200 hour PPL or a 12000 hour ATPL, the FI course is very worthwhile.
Whats the cost of qualifying? Am I ball park if I say:

ATPL/CPL Theory + FI Course: @ £10k? assuming theory is self study

FI Course alone : £7.5k - then restricted to LAPL NPPL?

On the strength of it, given the rise of the airline MPL, microlights, etc, could the PPL could end up being in less/equal demand to the LAPL ? If so, could you see more people qualifying as an FI I wonder?
Ben K wrote:No. Your original post, however implied all young FIs are nothing more than airline wannabes who don't do their job properly.

Nonsense. The words "all" and "young" and "airline" and "wannabes" are yours, not mine.
Ben K wrote:Yes - there are some newbie FIs who are only interested in enhancing their CVs, and don't do their job professionally.

Not just "newbie FIs". Even you stated that you get paid "naff-all" for FI work. That doesn't paint a very professional picture in my mind at all.
Once upon a time handy part-time FIs could be on 'home standby' locally getting on with some 'Good Work' (vacuum cleaner/lawnmower/paint brush etc) until the phone rings. Nowadays ATOs seem to want their 'polyfilla' FIs to actually be 'on-station' for QRA. If on 'flying pay' only it's not really worthwhile sitting around all day for love just in case a trial lesson walks in the door. One consequently becomes 'out of sight - out of mind', but it's hard to square up with 'Da Management' being up at the airfield day for twenty quid. These days I am a 'car boot' FCL945 FI doing non-ATO stuff (so-called 'biennials', differences, and 90-day circuits) for local syndicate members. The longer that goes on the more I forget the PPL 'lesson plans'. Part-time FI is rarely cost effective, and in my case certainly does not cover the cost of the triennial FI renewals. This is my 30th year as an FI, and because of the economics will probably be my last, which is a shame because after 51 years in the GA industry I am not an hours-builder but still might have something to offer. I'd be interested in what the ATOs have to say about FIs being on 'home standby'.