Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I was recently stuck on the ground for four hours at LFAT because according to the METAR the cloud base was 500ft and he wanted 600 before I could take off. Reality was fine, blue sky above, thin clouds hanging at 500 but nothing above. Very frustrating, I would have flown without a worry.

So I’m now cautious of getting stuck VFR at somewhere that will take decision making away from me.

Does this happen in UK, say cambridge/Gloucester? Can the controller actually say “you can’t take off due to weather” like they did in France?

(Edited to correct a stupid typo...)
Last edited by carlmeek on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Iceman
Airfields that I can think of which do impose strict limits are the Channel Islands. When it goes below their criteria for VFR, particularly cloud base, then VFR departures will not be allowed. Like Le Touquet, they have to base the limits on some measurable criteria , otherwise it becomes subjective. In all these places, you are typically on a flight plan which indicates your requested flight rules. In the U.K., if departing for another U.K. airfield, you don't necessarily require a flight plan so needn't mention your flight rules so the natural assumption is that you want to depart in conditions which are less than VFR minima then you are qualified to do so, e.g., IFR in Class G.

Iceman 8)
By carlmeek
Thanks, that's useful, I was starting to get paranoid about planning trips in slightly marginal weather. Glad to know you can use your own brain in the UK.

The time at Le Touquet was very silly. Sitting for four hours with 5 other pilots. Eventually they announced that the cloudbase was now 600 and we could take off. All 5 ran to the aircraft. On taking off, saw the cloud layer at 400ft. ha ha. I was successfully able to keep out of them, as were the other pilots behind me. Thing is - it was exactly the same four hours ago. I think eventually the controller decided to get rid of us all and just let us take off.
carlmeek wrote:Does this happen in UK

In CAS, yes. Have a read of ENR 1.2-3 'Special VFR Flight':
Without prejudice to existing weather limitations on Special VFR flights at specific aerodromes (as detailed within the AD 2 Section) ATC will not issue a Special VFR clearance to any fixed-wing aircraft intending to depart from an aerodrome within a Control Zone, when the official meteorological report indicates that the visibility is 1800 m or less and/or the cloud ceiling is less than 600 ft.
By carlmeek
Ah ok -there's the 600ft, same as LFAT.

This is SVFR only though, correct? So presumably virtually never applied?

I'm specifically thinking of places with the more 'strict' ATC/Radar such as Cambridge/Oxford.
By Iceman
Le Touquet will have a cloudbase measuring system. The controller's decision will be purely based on that system rather than him making a guestimate. If the system says 600 ft, he allows VFR departures, if it doesn't, he won't. His measurement will of course pertain to the cloudbase overhead the airport and it may be very different not far away.

LFAT does issue SVFR clearances under such circumstances and this operating state will be announced on the ATIS.

Iceman 8)
carlmeek wrote:This is SVFR only though, correct? So presumably virtually never applied?

I'm specifically thinking of places with the more 'strict' ATC/Radar such as Cambridge/Oxford.

The clue is in the acronym CAS which is controlled airspace. Cambridge and Oxford do not have controlled airspace. Theirs is Class G, which is uncontrolled airspace. However, under Rule 11 you will require their permission to fly within their ATZ. SVFR only applies with a Control Zone. It's all about letting people in and out control zones in less than VMC without compliance with IFR. It has to be controlled, and standard separation applied, hence the minima. In uncontrolled airspace you decide if the weather conditions are suitable, and simply go (subject to any Rule 11 ATZ 'permissions' which you will require...)
By James Chan
In my experience it is standard to be held on the ground for a VFR departure when less than VMC minima of the said airspace class.

You may be able to get round that with SVFR. Otherwise file and fly IFR departure.
By James Chan
Talkdownman’s answer is better than mine!
By James Chan
I believe there continues to be a fair bit of CFIT accidents from VFR-only pilots entering IFR conditions.

Do be careful! :thumleft:
Hawkwind liked this
I was given a SVFR clearance getting out of Grenoble Isere this past week. They made a point of me reading back my clearance as a SVFR clearance. As I hit their exit point NC I was on my own. No hand over to Lyon like I had twice before. I thought to myself that perhaps if I crashed, they did not want to know. Made me chuckle.
James Chan wrote:I believe there continues to be a fair bit of CFIT accidents from VFR-only pilots entering IFR conditions

Probably because 'VFR-only pilots' may not fly in IMC because they will not be able to see (the 'Visual' bit) where they are going...