Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I know it's possible to hover, or even reverse, a fixed wing aircraft in a strong headwind, but I've never had the appetite to actually try it.

Whilst out cycling today, I watched someone about 8nm NE of Sherburn attempting and succeeding! I couldn't make out the aircraft type, but I guess they were between 2 - 3000ft; several times they cut the engine and looked to pull up into a stall whilst blowing backwards, and then recover. :)
By MarkOlding
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I saw someone almost doing it in a Cub (I think) at Duxford flying legends a few years ago, I don't think the headwind was strong enough to stop / go backwards but it was an impressive site crawling along the crowd line at what seemed a brisk walking pace while 50 ft off the ground.
By Rob P
@Mark.

That sounds like Peter Holloway and his Storch. It used to be part of his act.

Rob P
MarkOlding liked this
By yhuubert
It's always fun to watch An-2's fly backward in strong headwinds. Couldn't find any videos of going back, but here's a common case of an almost hovering one:

Back in time when they were flying commercial routes, it often did not make sense to take off, as you'd be going backwards from the destination :P
By Trent772
On breezy final in my Champ a few years ago, the radio guy politely asked if I would orbit as he wanted to allow some departures (fly in of some sort). I just said I would wait here and went into hover mode !

3 departed and a surprised voice said thanks and continue :mrgreen:

We aim to please - gents, aim too please :thumleft:
ChampChump, Rich V, Ben K and 2 others liked this