Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
VGS' could be a bit 'selfish' (not really the right word because it was actually due to orders from above) when it came to others using 'their' airfield.
At Halton, if the VGS was operating (normally 613 but for a short time both 612 and 613 operated simultaneously both using Vigilants) they had sole use of the marked grass runways and everyone else (RAFGSA, Halton Aero Club [powered], Ridge Runners [microlights], RAF Halton microlights) had to use a smaller grass section to the east or south of the 'main' runways.
By Arclite01
Watton is disused. However;

There is 350m of smooth tarmac at one end (North) which is usable and I have landed there up to a month ago in a Cub.

I wouldn't leave my aeroplane unattended though as even the owner (farmer) has been threatened with a knife by kids from the new houses bordering the airfield site. The new estate is called the 'Badlands' or the 'Dark Place' by the locals apparently.

I try and remember it in happier times.

Arclite.
By chevvron
Reminds me of the BBC drama series in the sixties called 'The Newcomers' about a new estate somewhere in East Anglia built for and inhabited by ex Londoners.
As far as I'm aware, it was the first TV appearance of the late Wendy Richard of 'Are you being served?' and 'Eastenders' fame.
By Rob P
Unless she was on Top of the Pops before then appearing with Mike Sarne?

Rob P
By chevvron
Rob P wrote:Unless she was on Top of the Pops before then appearing with Mike Sarne?

Rob P

You're quite right, but wasn't it just her voice?
By Rob P
Dunno. Wasn't allowed to stay up that late in case I became over-excited by Pan's People

Rob P
Nick, Tim Dawson liked this
By rml133
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SkyDemon shows Watton in both PC and Android versions. But not in IOS. I've long wondered which one to believe.

Raises the question of how often SD check/review their data.
By ChrisT
Still got Watton showing as an active glider site on PC, Android and iPad. All 3 updated their maps this morning.

I guess SD will not change it until told to via NATS/CAA ext...
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
rml133 wrote:SkyDemon shows Watton in both PC and Android versions. But not in IOS. I've long wondered which one to believe.

Raises the question of how often SD check/review their data.

They're all the same. Check your settings.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Arclite01 wrote:
I wouldn't leave my aeroplane unattended though as even the owner (farmer) has been threatened with a knife by kids from the new houses bordering the airfield site. The new estate is called the 'Badlands' or the 'Dark Place' by the locals apparently.

I try and remember it in happier times.

Arclite.

Ditto. Towards the end of 611’s tenure which IIRC is now over five years ago and on the last occasions that I visited as WGLO, they were having problems with locals from the new estate wandering aimlessly across the airfield while gliding was ongoing, oblivious to the possible danger they might cause to themselves and others....if only 611 had been able to stay at Swanton Morley... :(

Ian
By chevvron
Arclite01 wrote:Rumours on Prune that the Swanton Operation may host a VGS again - but I've got no firm information

Arclite

Small private strip outside the peri track to the north.
The Army appear to have allowed the growth of several large copses there but in the main, the old airfield surface appears to be unobstructed apart from a single fence. :twisted:
Unusual for the Army; they usually try to ensure any airfield they take over is made unsuitable for flying. :cry:
By Arclite01
The private strip is disused and has been for some time.

The airfield at Swanton is unobstructed because the Army CO uses it for playing Polo I am told......................

Still occasional rotary wing in there, 1 or 2 Hercs since closure but not recently.

Arclite