Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Crash one
Joe Dell wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I can't see so quickly whether anyone has asked the OP yet.

Why? What is the point?

I asked because I have a friend who is short of his minimum hours, despite having flown my tailwheel aircraft on some pretty long legs. My own input being no more than the last two minutes.

Since it's permissible for the PIC to change mid-flight I thought perhaps, Sorry. The kettle's boiling and not switched off.

Couple of years ago I asked if a non tailwheel qualified instructor could do my reval in my tailwheel aircraft.
After some discussion with the CFI they said yes as long as nothing tailwheel specific was done. We went and did the hour, duly signed off etc.
I then discovered that the instructor could not be PIC as he wasn't qualified to fly the aircraft. Therefore the flight was invalid.
I had do do the hour again with a suitable instructor.
So if the flight in this case is for hours for rating/licence renewal/revalidation.
No, definitely not.
I asked an ATPL training Captain who was qualified to sign off a Concorde captain for his IR if he could do it. No, not qualified.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I asked because I have a friend who is short of his minimum hours,

Why not share the cost in an aeroplane in which he is qualified to gain his hours that way?

If he shares the cost of petrol in your aeroplane, perhaps you can do the same in something he can fly?
By SteveC
Sooty25 wrote:
SteveC wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
Should it not be logged as "passenger flying" as described in the instructions of every Pooleys pilots log book, item 11. ?

Why should it be logged as anything? Desperation?

you might if it was informal training on an aircraft thar you have yet to gain a rating for. Or maybe just of your own records?

I say again. Why? What is the PPL obsession with writing useless stuff in a logbook? If its for the purpose of a licence renewal/revalition, currency etc it goes in the logbook. If its anything else it stays in my memory. .... You can bag about it in the bar without having to drag your logbook out to "prove" it...... ;)
Nick liked this
By SteveC
mick w wrote:I wish I'd made notes of notable & interesting flights in my Logbooks , my memory doesn't seem to log dates !!. :wink:

what relevance is the date?
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SteveC wrote:
mick w wrote:I wish I'd made notes of notable & interesting flights in my Logbooks , my memory doesn't seem to log dates !!. :wink:

what relevance is the date?

To save a big search when trying to remember when I flew with someone , or sent someone solo .
By Joe Dell
SteveC wrote:

I say again. Why? What is the PPL obsession with writing useless stuff in a logbook? If its for the purpose of a licence renewal/revalition, currency etc it goes in the logbook. If its anything else it stays in my memory. .... You can bag about it in the bar without having to drag your logbook out to "prove" it...... ;)

Missed the point again Steve.

G-CLUX
By kanga
Crash one wrote:..
I asked an ATPL training Captain who was qualified to sign off a Concorde captain for his IR if he could do it. No, not qualified.

I recall a possibly apocryphal tale from the Mess at Brize in the '70s. A Senior (rank and years) VC10 Captain was coming up to retirement and working towards a CPL or possibly ATPL to use in civilian life. He had an IR check ride with a CAA Examiner in a light twin, but failed one aspect. The Examiner offered another slot the following week which had just become vacant, to redo that one exercise. The Officer replied, 'sorry, cannot make that, I'm flying the Queen to Washington that day' .. :roll:

Which actually makes regulatory sense to me: someone competent to Captain an extravagantly maintained 4-engine jet on Airways between major long-runway full-ATC airports with support of a currently rated Copilot, Engineer, Navigator and Loadmaster is not thereby automatically competent to do solo single NDB letdowns to minima at a small strip in an ancient Aztec with one engine out with paying air taxi passengers, a privilege which a CPL would presumably have given him ...

I also recall suggestions from when the USAF were blaming Firefly accidents on shortcomings with the aircraft, which led to the decision under Congressional pressure to crush all their examples, that one iussue was that senior pilots from the recently retired C141 fleet were being assigned to SEP instructor roles without relevant recent experience nor training.
By SteveC
Joe Dell wrote:
SteveC wrote:

Missed the point again Steve.

G-CLUX

I am not sure if a point was being made rather than me missing it. What is the obsession with "logging" time that has no relevance to the purpose of a logbook? if you flew in something interesting why does it need to go in a logbook. The exact time and date make no difference to the memory and the flight has no relevance to currency or the renewal or issue of ratings.

I find the whole thing totally bizarre.

To save a big search when trying to remember when I flew with someone , or sent someone solo .

I use the student record files for that. Beyond that searching through the last 10 logbooks for something like that is just as big a search.

Each to their own I guess.... :roll: :roll:
Paultheparaglider liked this
I have lots of memorable motorcycle rides, and not a single one logged. Can anyone seriously think we would ever accept having to log all our motoring trips?

Have I missed out on something important? Frankly, I think the whole logbook thing for ppls is a total nonsense. And, even my spellchecker tried to change ppls to poos, so it seems to agree. :wink:
SteveC, Nick, Spooky liked this
By Sooty25
@SteveC I think the difference is;

for a commercial pilot flying everyday doing the Easyjet Stansted to Palma and back cattle run, what is important to him is he accumulates 1,000s of hours to wave under the nose of BA or Emirates to try and progress. The fact that most of it is done on Autopilot doesn't matter and I guess the Autopilot hours aren't taken out, but the 1,000's of hours logged may mean a better job! BA doesn't want to see 40 minutes jump seat time in a DC-3 in the middle of that, "not proper!"

Then there are those of us lowly soles with "just" a PPL or worse still "just" an NPPL or even worse an NPPL(M/SLMG), the logbook has no commercial meaning. It is our record of our flying, a piece of our personal history, which may one day mean something to us or our family.

For example, when my late father started learning to fly, he bought a second logbook, a proper Pooleys type, and used it to record all the passenger trips my brother and I made. I was 4 years old when he started that and I didn't know about it until some years after he passed away. I know the time, date, P1, aircraft, the lot, about my first ever flight. I attempted to do my GST on the anniversary of that date. Sadly weather forecasting conspired against me and I did it a day early, but the attempt meant a lot to me and was only possible due to that "worthless" logbook.

In my fathers logbook, he logged a flight he did in a Jet Provost with the RAF. The Instructor was a friend, but it obviously wasn't a training flight and my father obviously didn't have ratings to allow him to fly it, but he flew it "under guidance" from "brakes off" to "brakes on".

And there are loads of other little personal gems in those books which time would have diluted, but even Pooleys recognise that and included "passenger flying " in the instructions on page 1.

So there you have it, the little collection of logbooks in my family are "priceless heirlooms", where as the stack of logbooks owned by "Joe the 737 driver" are just a document he has to keep.

no offence meant to ATPL's
kanga, skydriller liked this
By Lockhaven
SteveC wrote:Whatever floats your boat Sooty. However we have digressed from the original question by quite a wide margin.

I thought it maybe worth reposting the third answer in this post to the original OP.

Lockhaven
You can log whatever you want in what ever book you want it's only when you count hours towards a license or rating then you need to differentiate.
By SteveC
The third answer was incorrect in relation to the original post. Which I did answer. The answer was no they can't log the time as P1 as they can't legally be the commander of the aircraft without the differences training or grandfather rights..... ;)