Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lockhaven
I would like to visit the British Motor Museum at some point and combine it with a flight.
Anybody know of a suitable grass strip as close as possible to the museum, 400m would be long enough, there isn't anything showing on Skydemon so it would have to be one of the secret strips with a friendly farmer.
By Rob P
Gaydon is a motor test track and unavailable for two reasons. There's lots of cars pounding up and down what was the runway, and they are more than a little security minded.

Rob P
By Ben Twings
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not much flying at Gaydon since the V-bombers left. There used to be a private strip right next to Gaydon, but can't see any sign of it now on Google maps.

The nearest strips are Shotteswell near Banbury and Glebe Farm near Fenny Compton (quite short), but you'd need transport from either.
Lockhaven liked this
By chevvron
I heard some time ago that anyone landing at Gaydon in glider or powered aircraft would be allowed to make arrangements to have their aircraft removed by road, they would not be allowed to take off.

Shenington (also known as Edge Hill; both Gloster E28/39s were based there briefly for manufacturers trials before being delivered to RAE Farnborough) a few miles south east looks to have powered aircraft parked at the north end as well as the glider site at the south end near the Kart circuit, or there's always Shotteswell near Banbury but about the same distance from Gaydon. Both of these look to be a bit further than Wellesborne but they both have grass.
While looking at satellite photos, there's another grass strip west of Wellesborne, place called Atherstone on Stour on a disused hard runway airfield just off the A3400.
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lockhaven liked this
By Ian Melville
Ben Twings wrote:Not much flying at Gaydon since the V-bombers left.

I have many take offs and landings at Gaydon , I fact I learn't to glide there with the ATC. The runway was so long the Air Scouts used half for paracending, we had the other half. Sadly no-go these days.
By chevvron
'871; that's 'my' aircraft.
I arrived early at Halton one evening and was DI- ing the aircraft when a Land Rover and trailer from Kirbymoorside appeared delivering '871 from a factory re-build. I helped unload it and signed for it and the driver was gone before anyone else turned up; he had a couple of rowing '8s' on the trailer (Slingsby's sideline at the time) and was in a hurry to deliver them to to Henley before dark..
Ian Melville liked this
By cambioso
Yes that was "Ted" Smith Ian.
I was there as a Staff Cadet/CI '68 - '72, then moved on to 622 at Old Sarum for 3 years leaving as a "B" Cat.
Very happy memories, many hundreds of launches, and lifelong friends.
Jez.
By chevvron
cambioso wrote:Yes that was "Ted" Smith Ian.
I was there as a Staff Cadet/CI '68 - '72, then moved on to 622 at Old Sarum for 3 years leaving as a "B" Cat.
Very happy memories, many hundreds of launches, and lifelong friends.
Jez.

637 moved from Gaydon to Little Rissington and re-equipped with Ventures, then (1991) Vigilant. I did Admin Officer for a summer course with them in '91; we were billeted at South Cerney as the yanks still ocupied all the Rissy accomodation!