Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gfry
I am trying to find out the UK and European appetite for Avids.

If you own an Avid or want an Avid can you PM me or reply in topic? same goes for Avid parts, if you have a requirement for Avid parts can you let me know?
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Awful , the only Aircraft I've flown that would fly sideways without Rudder input . :wink:
By gfry
mick w wrote:Awful , the only Aircraft I've flown that would fly sideways without Rudder input . :wink:

I do admit they need **** load of trim tab. But even so it should be rigged to fly straight and level. They are mega twitchy on the yaw and that's because they are quiet short in the airframe. Also the engine is mounted slightly off centre for some reason hat I have no ideas about.
By flyingeeza
gfry wrote:
mick w wrote:Awful , the only Aircraft I've flown that would fly sideways without Rudder input . :wink:

I do admit they need **** load of trim tab. But even so it should be rigged to fly straight and level. They are mega twitchy on the yaw and that's because they are quiet short in the airframe. Also the engine is mounted slightly off centre for some reason hat I have no ideas about.

That offset centre of thrust is a method of countering torque.

But the Avid does indeed look like a lot of fun... :shock: 8)

By Joe Dell
Just looked back at the 'Comments' in my log book. ' Fun ' wasn't there. :( There's a cat herding reference though. :)
By Genghis the Engineer
Hard to see why anybody would be all that interested in an Avid in the UK when cheap kitfoxes are readily available second hand and if you want a new aeroplane the much more developed Sherwood Scout is being built here.

G
By gfry
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Hard to see why anybody would be all that interested in an Avid in the UK when cheap kitfoxes are readily available second hand and if you want a new aeroplane the much more developed Sherwood Scout is being built here.

G

Very valid points.....hence I am checking what the appetite is like for Avids these days. Basically Avid is back in business and in the process of setting up a new factory. I am looking at the EMEA market to see if it should enter the EMEA market again. So really my interest is in supporting the existing aircraft and new aircraft market.
By Genghis the Engineer
If I were you I should also be asking whether they have firstly updated the design, and secondly upskilled compared to how they used to be.

Aeroplanes from that corner of the US community have historically been very difficult to get approved in the UK, Germany, erc. basically because their design and airworthiness engineers haven't been very good at documenting and justifying their designs.

G