Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TimmyP
johncondor wrote:Once I was transferred from Bristol to Cardiff in my Rollason Condor as a "small helicopter". Just as well they didn't ask me to hold position!

I also recall an occasion where an SR22 was handed over from radar to tower as an R22. He was most confused at being asked to take up a hover...

Such are the margins in aviation!
I tend to tag "microlight" onto the type so people have a realistic ( :oops: ) notion of my likely speed!

"X'Air microlight" I assume to be more useful to those around me than the technically more correct "X'Air Falcon" - which even I will admit is a rather speedily ferocious sounding name for the dear little thing, and has also, oddly, led to me being asked a few times if I'm a helicopter.
By Rob L
Following on with funny stories: when I first started flying to Europe 1994-ish, I used to call on the radio with "Taylorcraft" as my aircraft type.

"Ze wat?"
"Taylorcraft"
"Zey again"
"Tango Alpha Yankee...." you get the idea.

I quickly started calling it a "Supercuurb" (intentional misspelling here) because everyone in the world knows that term. Upon my later trips (late 2000s to early 2010s) we were often a loose formation of two Taylorcraft, a C172, a Rans S6, an HR200 and a C150. I did all the radio as "six Supercuurbs". Never a problem! :D All on one flight plan as PA18, too! Not sure that would work today.

(In France I am "Echo Yonkee" :wink: ) Proper ICAO designation is TAYB
By kanga
Sir Morley Steven wrote:G-BICW a P28A
Eh?
PA28
Oh
G-EGLK a PS28
Eh?
Sport Cruiser
Oh
GBBRC a SUBA
Eh?
Fuji
Oh

Teletubbies say .. :)

When I got my (BoT) PPL, there was no distinction between 'microlight' and 'proper aircraft' :roll:
seanxair liked this
By PaulSS
This leads me to question why this information is required at all. I think the addition of 'microlight' or 'helicopter' to the callsign is worthwhile but, even then, the 'microlight' should only be the likes of Leia and not a microlight version e.g. a microlight Eurofox, as opposed to an LAA Eurofox. Why do ATC care a jot if it's a C172 seeking a zone transit or a C177 (I've even heard some smart-arse letting everyone know he was an RG.....Wow!!).

Likewise, who really cares where we've come from or where we're going? If it's for a transit I'm sure if I were ATC I'd just want to know where you are (so I can find you) and where you want to go (so I can see if there's something preventing that). If I were landing at an airfield then I'd be filling in their movements book, so why do I need to let everyone know I'm 'from a private strip 10 miles west of XXX' on the radio?

Some of the RT transmissions I've heard block the frequency for SO long with irrelevant nonsense about the precise type and mark of his aircraft, where he's been, what he's had for breakfast and his life goals. We should get rid of all that extraneous talking and just stick to the real basics, with the caveat of relevant information 'helicopter' (I know this is standard) being added. If ATC really need to know your type then I believe the default position should be that they ask, instead of us automatically telling......as I've heard people doing even when they're on a flight plan :roll:
By Nick
Paul SS said...
 Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:23 am#1564746

This leads me to question why this information is required at all. I think the addition of 'microlight' or 'helicopter' to the callsign is worthwhile but, even then, the 'microlight' should only be the likes of Leia and not a microlight version e.g. a microlight Eurofox, as opposed to an LAA Eurofox. Why do ATC care a jot if it's a C172 seeking a zone transit or a C177 (I've even heard some smart-arse letting everyone know he was an RG.....Wow!!). ( Clipped )

It matters a lot. :wink: Depending on where you want to land. Just Eurofox can land at Blackbush.... :roll: . Eurofox microlight gets a preferential rate at nicer airfields such as Gloucester. :thumleft: (Other nice airfields also available)

Make your call to suit. :wink:

Nick
Discussions over what landing fee to pay is nothing to do with ATC. Whether you are an R22, an SU27 or an SR22 may be relevant to ATC. But they don't decide on the landing fee. :D