Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sooty25
Flying_john wrote:So how do we organise a 04:30 flyin for Forum members next summer.

that would be a laugh! I'm in (subject to the landing fees!) :thumleft:
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Landing fees. Well, that's where tha plan fails; the balloons only departed :D.

I see that the balloons were all given a WIND1NE SID for departure.

Iceman 8)
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Iceman wrote:Landing fees. Well, that's where that plan fails; the balloons only departed :D.

I think that is part of the challenge. 30 balloons arriving by car overnight and departing at sunrise doesn't upset normal operations too much.
Taking off with 30 or so light aircraft at sunrise should also be possible... but getting in without upsetting normal operations would pose more of an issue. If it needs to be done outside normal operating hours it would mean doing it in the dark, which would put it outside the abilities of some pilots / aircraft...
So we'd have to arrive during daytime, interspersed with the CAT ... and parked somewhere out of harms way... Not my area of expertise, but I can see it being a lot more difficult to organise than the balloons.

I don't know if 'normal' CAT operations into LCY are continued through the weekend, though - if there's e.g. a gap during daylight hours that could be used...

Morten