Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

If aviation data where available via UAT in the UK, how should it be deployed and funded?

UAT data services should be free to use if I am transmitting ADS-B.
50%
I would be prepared to pay a subscription fee for UAT data.
16%
I have no interest in UAT data and would not use the service.
12%
If UAT data cannot be ‘free for all’ users, it should not be deployed.
22%
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
How do you feel UAT data should be deployed in the UK given that the data and provision of the infrastructure has to be funded?
Last edited by Cub on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GrahamB
Given the varety of ways in which ADSB out can be achieved in the U.K. making the first option even viable seems remote without either being mandated to use specific kit, or rely on an awful lot of cooperation between disparate vendors.

Ps can you change the title? I thought you were asking for volunteers to host an antenna!
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ian Melville
Can you add an option for community funding as FLARM and OGN do? Many of these stations may be willing to upgrade. Many are in ideal locations for UAT tramission.
gaznav liked this
By Cub
Ian Melville wrote:Can you add an option for community funding as FLARM and OGN do? Many of these stations may be willing to upgrade. Many are in ideal locations for UAT tramission.

Ian. That is exactly the sort of model that we should aspire to if we want to see wide spread, early adoption of the protocol but we have to be realistic that transmission in a protected and safe guarded part of the aviation spectrum will require checks and balances as well as kit, that all need to be funded. I am simply trying to be realistic from the outset about how the model could work but I would love to see the voluntary adoption of the kit by clubs and airfields for the betterment of their users. That to me is the most exciting part of any GA strategy.
By PaulSS
That would never work, Ian, as it doesn't enable the CAA to force through another agenda on the back of a completely separate topic.
By Cub
PaulSS wrote:

Unrelated and unnecessary.

So how would you propose funding the provision of data and infrastructure to enable UAT?
By leemoore1966
UAT
Universal Access Transceiver

Clearly you do not understand the word Universal
And this is not a Transceiver

This is now a Bespoke Access Receiver - BAR

More appropriate as the goal is clearly to BAR access, not to make it Universal

Safety before Strategy
PaulSS, Keith Vinning, Cessna57 and 2 others liked this
By PaulSS
Well, first of all I think you've managed to grasp the wrong part of 'unrelated'. What I meant by that was UAT weather has NOTHING to do with ADSB Out, despite you wanting to link the two so people are forced into following your (CAA) agenda. Transmitting ADSB is unnecessary to receive UAT weather, therefore your option is specious at best.

I would second Ian's proposal that has been used, similarly, with PAW and the OGN. However, this does assume you're not going to turn molehills into mountains but your writing already indicates this won't be the case.
leemoore1966, exfirepro liked this
By 2Donkeys
The interesting Poll (pole?) question which is really asking at least two questions in one.

How should UAT be implemented?

Well, in ideal world UAT would be recognised as providing a service of benefit to the flying populace as a whole (including commercial air traffic) and would be implemented as a piece of national infrastructure. But that isn't the way we do things here, so relying on clubs, pubs, airports, individuals and others will probably be the way it works - resulting in spotty coverage and a need for the regulator to play a significant role to ensure some kind of quality of service.

How should it be funded?

See above to some extent. We would all have benefited some years ago from the CAA jumping off the fence on conspicuity and simply mandating ADS-B. Instead of the soup that is Flarm, PilotAware and others, we would all have moved (begrudgingly no doubt) to a single technology which the major avionics vendors have already built into their kit to support the vastly larger US market.

UAT and TIS-B would have been a great way for the CAA to sugar-coat the pill of ADS-B as well as providing all airspace users with enhanced inflight data that would improve safety and situational awareness substantially. One could argue that struggling ATSOCAS funding is mitigated to a certain extent if pilots are simply served reliable traffic information via an uplink.

As usual though, we are trailing some years behind the US market and attempting to build a solution despite ourselves, rather than in a coordinated fashion.

I love what the UK UAT trial appears to be achieving, and I hope it is wildly successful - but its existence is further proof of the lack of coherent strategy from the top.
PaulSS, exfirepro, Flying_john and 5 others liked this
By HedgeHopper
Cub, will you be presenting this poll to the CAA?, I think you should make it known if that is the case. (when I say "presenting" I include prompting to view this thread)
I sincerely hope CAA policy is not overly influenced this way, the forum may or may not be representative
By Paul_Sengupta
Cub wrote:
PaulSS wrote:

Unrelated and unnecessary.

So how would you propose funding the provision of data and infrastructure to enable UAT?

Doesn't the same question apply even if you *are* transmitting ADS-B?

JoeC - yes. :D

For all intents and purposes of this discussion, it's in-flight weather.
JoeC, exfirepro liked this
By mmcp42
weather data delivery should be independent of ADS-B out
IMHO
YMMV
exfirepro liked this