Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mglepd
Feeling the need to get some night flying done. Somewhere in Southern England or near continent.
Must have:

Permanent lights (too old to put out the car battery type)
Not be silly price (so not Exeter, Norwich etc.)
Hotel on, or short walk from, airfield (rules out Gloster)
Open late

Not ruling out France or Benelux.
BTW, what's the latest on Coventry?
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not sure what you mean by a silly price but many of the larger aerodromes have hotels on-site or nearby:
viewtopic.php?t=104434
By joe-fbs
Humberside is (was last time I flew there in October 2015) friendly, reasonably priced and open late. It appears to have two hotels on site.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=54192

Neither Sandtoft nor Humberside are exactly southern England but unless you are based at Shoreham or Lydd are probably no further than the mainland Europe places you mentioned?
By joe-fbs
BTW, a fellow forumite and I overnighted at Exeter recently and it was certainly very reasonably priced. I don't have the numbers and forgot to post a note in the ATIS section but would have remembered if it had been unreasonable.
By Hawkwind
Southend could fit the bill with a Holiday Inn on site. Airport is H24, but watch out for a hefty night surcharge between 2300 until 0600, local time. If you can complete flying by 2300, you will avoid the surcharge.
By PeteSpencer
CloudHound wrote:Sywell! My all time fav UK Aerodrome. Brand new LED lighting installed this year. Fantastic Art Deco Moderne hotel on site too.

Hmm: That's got me thinking:
AIP says night flying every Thursday Nov to Feb incl from to SS plus 2hrs 30 mins

Might give it a bash

Peter
By Rob P
Hawkwind wrote:Southend could fit the bill with a Holiday Inn on site.

I've stayed and eaten there.

Good quality restaurant, though whether it would still be open at the time you'd had enough nighttime fun is debatable.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
robert79 wrote:Cambridge might fit the bill.

Cambridge close early:8pm

Just phoned Norwich: /Saxonair :
two approaches plus landing plus overnight parking and a night in Premier inn=
c. £160
Each further approach half price £16 + VAT
Cheaper approaches at weekend offset by more expensive hotel so price approx the same...

Peter
By Lefty
If staying at the Sywell Airport Hotel, (the new block) try to get a 1st floor room. The floor is very thin and ground floor rooms get a lot of noise from the rooms anywhere from.

I stayed there a lot whilst working n the area and you can hear the people upstairs walking around their room, not to mention hearing their music and TV audio.