Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
I wrote the Info Note IN-2014/143 that signalled the introduction of PCL to UK CAA Licensed Aerodromes. It was with the background of the GA Unit's Red Tape Challenge etc and was at the time wholeheartedly welcomed by industry.

Then accountable managers started to think through the mechanisms of how the process would work. Technology isn't a problem, though anyone thinking VHF and clicks hadn't kept up with GSM functionality.

Problem for airport managers was how to sleep soundly worrying about what they might find opening up in the morning? There was a case years ago of a chap crashing his plane on take off at a disused RAF aerodrome and lying trapped in the wreckage until a passing motorist spotted the remains.

The lack of take-up came as no surprise to me. Furthermore, with LED battery powered lights they draw such little charge you might as well turn them on for the whole night.
By Bathman
Whereas other parts of the world have no such issues.

Historically if the CAA had allowed PCL then I suspect none of these present day problems would exist

However things are much better since the CAA changed their stance and I would like to think that this will continue.
By joe-fbs
Ref’ my post early on page 1, I can now confirm from experience that the Highwayman is a clean, comfortable hotel with a good breakfast and is an easy walk from Oxford airport.
By callump
flyingdoug wrote:Anyone have experience of Newquay airport at night?

I flew there in a PA28 at night several years ago (so things might have changed) but it was all absolutely fine except the GA apron was completely unlit so it was mandatory handling with a marshaller and mini bus to pick us up.
By mpk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Forget late at Sywell, I just rang them, closes 1800 every night.

Leicester is 2000 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Wellesbourne until 2000 Thursdays and Fridays provided there are 3 aircraft wanting those late hours.
By mpk
So for central England I'm deducing beyond 1800 it's:

Wellesbourne Thurs/Fri with the Charlecote Pheasant 1m away £69
Leicester Tues/Thurs the Pug and Greyhound 2.5m away £55
Oxford any night Highwayman 1m away at £70
By webdevduck
If you're counting Midlands then Shobdon have lights. Night flying is on Thursdays. They have static caravans to rent on site for a reasonable price if that will suffice. If not The Bateman Arms is about 15 minutes walk.
By Sir Morley Steven
Because Blackbushe don’t want to stay open some of our students have gone elsewhere to do their night ratings.
Southend were too expensive but Oxford did a good rate.
If you fancy it the Malmaison hotel in the city is the old prison.