Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By robert79
PeteSpencer wrote:
robert79 wrote:Cambridge might fit the bill.

Cambridge close early:8pm

Just phoned Norwich: /Saxonair :
two approaches plus landing plus overnight parking and a night in Premier inn=
c. £160
Each further approach half price £16 + VAT
Cheaper approaches at weekend offset by more expensive hotel so price approx the same...

Don't know if that good or bad really, depends on the hotel cost I guess. What I do know is the airport could easily cut its costs.
I flew to Manchester this morning. In the departure lounge a gaggle of no less than 7 "Customer Support Staff" spent 30 minutes doing precisely bugger all, other than natter and lark about till one of them had to do a bit of work and check the boarding cards of all 7 passengers to Manchester.
There's 7 x £10 "Airport Development Fee" blown straight away.

I'm being disingenuous of course, there was another flight and a couple of rig helicopters. There were at least 20 passengers departing within the hour. Poor sods were probably run ragged for the rest of the day.

Car park is a swizz too. £8.60 per day according to the website. Nope try £15, and that's only if you stay for 10 days or more. 30 quid. I'll park in the industrial estate next time!

Oddly the whole experience was less unpleasant than waiting around with thousands of half cut hipsters at Manchester on the way home. Every other person had a pint on the go!

Quite enjoyed the spirited Dornier 328 take off though!

Apols for the thread drift!
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I used to fly NWI to MAN once a month for several years till I fully retired 2 years ago. Employers paid so didn't care about cost.
A more officious crowd in Xray you'll never see: every one of the 6-12 pax got turned over....

Initially Dash 8s with the odd Embraer but latterly the Loganair Dorniers.

Loved it: looked forward to tucking in to Fillet Steak and Tempranillo in Hilton less than 3 hours from leaving home

Knocked spots off the 5 hour drive.

Have experienced some seriously hairy cross wind landings at NWI when the cabin went vaairy quiet....

Peter
By Paul_Sengupta
Cardiff? I don't think they charge extra for lights. £20.40 landing fee. Overnight parking fee probably on their website. Too lazy to look it up. :D Couple of hotels around the airport, but a bit of a trek on foot as they're around the terminal side of the airport.
So basically given loads of options Bathman concludes there is no where.

No wonder GA is dying in the U.K. :D :D

I'm thinking of doing my night rating at Dunkerswell ( :D :D just for the speling politzi). Not sure when night is avalible but think the local pub has bnb. My accommodation near there comes with dog and friendly wife.
Hawkwind, James Chan liked this
By gasman
Lefty wrote:If staying at the Sywell Airport Hotel, (the new block) try to get a 1st floor room. The floor is very thin and ground floor rooms get a lot of noise from the rooms anywhere from.

Be aware that they do not serve hot food on a Sunday evening (crisps and semi-frozen sandwiches are available).
Paul said:
Cardiff? I don't think they charge extra for lights. £20.40 landing fee. Overnight parking fee probably on their website. Too lazy to look it up. :D Couple of hotels around the airport, but a bit of a trek on foot as they're around the terminal side of the airport.

Cardiff is popular with visiting aircraft doing approach and go-arounds. It's a full-scale airport (24 hr ops, no PPR etc) but is relatively quiet and I believe not so expensive for approaches. The landing fee Paul quotes is without a handling charge. When Aeros (who take your landing fee) is not open, I believe you have to be handled by Signature and that may cost significantly more. Aeros is usually open 09:00-17:30 but sometimes later for night flying. Do check! Their number is 01446 710000.

There is a Holiday Inn Express near the Terminal side which, as Paul says, is a bit of a trek on foot. However, you could do the much shorter walk to the railway station and take the (free?) bus to the terminal side.

Overall, I think it is worth your while exploring Cardiff. ATC is always helpful and accommodating.

Send me a message if you think I can be of any help and I'll 'phone you.
By Bathman
GG

There isn't anywhere. This places closes at 2000. This place is open late on Thursdays only. This place is 20 quid a touch and go.

In the states you can turn up anytime. Go to actually where u want to go to and land.

The UK is no where near anything like that.

I do hope it changes. Certainly one airfield I occasionally fly from has PCL but sadly I can't go to where I want to go. But its a start.
By Bathman
[quote="Bathman"]GG

There isn't anywhere. This places closes at 2000 or that place is open late on Thursdays only. This place is 20 quid a touch and go. Etc

In the states you can turn up anytime. Go to actually where u want to go to and land.

The UK is no where near anything like that.

I do hope it changes and I think it's started two as an airfield close to me has now got PCL. But this should have happened decades ago.
By James Chan

Indeed. Along with noise issues in the UK, there's been a few incidents after-hours as well as a distrust among the community. PCL uptake remains poor. Look at the Blackbushe thread for example. Something similar happened with Brighton City a few years ago.
By flyingdoug
Blackpool has lights and a hotel (Premier Inn). It's south of the border, but not as far south as the OP was looking for. Have visited several times during the day and always been very happy with the service there.

Cranfield also has lights and a hotel (but closes rather early).

I don't actually have experience of either at night (only obtained my night rating last winter) - just basing the above on what I've seen online.

Anyone have experience of Newquay airport at night?