Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Any pilot's worst nightmare.

I never worry if people choose to snipe at the Nomex 'growbag', stout boots and leather gloves I fly in.

I hope the reports are proved later to be pessimistic.

Rob P
Taff pilot liked this
By Spooky
Rob P wrote:Any pilot's worst nightmare.

I never worry if people choose to snipe at the Nomex 'growbag', stout boots and leather gloves I fly in.

Rob P

I used to think it was a bit over the top but didn't look down on those wearing them. I know one of the chaps in this incident and I'm now getting myself kitted out :cry:
Rob P liked this
By SteveC
Rob P wrote:Any pilot's worst nightmare.

Rob P

How long does Nomex last?
Protective apparel made of Nomex® is so durable that industrial launderers estimate that it may last for five years and be washed and worn at least 125 times without compromising its protection, shape and professional appearance.
By Rob P
Oh that's sad news.

Your friend, acquaintance Spooky? If so you have my sympathy.

Rob P
Spooky liked this
By trapdoor
This is very sad news indeed.

Why is it that private aviation is about the only hobby where 'suitable' clothing is frowned upon? Certain usual suspects will argue that "you don't wear a grow bag when driving to the shops, so why wear one in a Cherokee" This demonstrates in a dreadful but pertinent way why that argument is wholly wrong.

There is a massive element of inverse snobbery where it is more acceptable to fly with flip flops, speedo's and string vest than a (shock, horror) military green nomex suit. I used to wear one in the Chippie, got the pi55 taken when I wore one a few times in the Bulldog so don't wear one in the Pup even though it seems sensible (moreso now perhaps), but we are forced to wear a pointless and likely highly flammable 'builders waistcoat' for safety reasons.
Colonel Panic, Taff pilot, Rob P and 5 others liked this