Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SleapRequired
Hi

I have completed all ground exams and had my skills test yesterday for PPL A. I need to get my paperwork into licensing before 29th Sept however I am struggling to find an R/T examiner to do the practical test.

Can I get PPL licence issued without FRTOL and get it added at a later date?

Thanks
By MarkOlding
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Where are you based ? if you can get to White Waltham there is a guy called Peter Snape who is very helpful and in my experience can do short notice.
You would need to speak to the club first and they can give you his number.

Congrats on the skills test by the way
Cheers
By GolfHotel
it was possible to get a PPL without a radio licence, and would assume you still can. But i really don't know for sure.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
SleapRequired wrote:Hi

I have completed all ground exams and had my skills test yesterday for PPL A. I need to get my paperwork into licensing before 29th Sept however I am struggling to find an R/T examiner to do the practical test.

Can I get PPL licence issued without FRTOL and get it added at a later date?

Thanks

Get the R/T bit done with Chris Copple at Barton.

From your forum name I assume you are based at a Sleap?
By kingbing
I just did mine. The forms are clear that you can get the PPL without the FRTOL but you won't be legal in using the radio without one.

You can pass the test and apply for the licence without the FRTOL but you will pay extra for the admin (about £70). If you submit the signed FRTOL form (once you have passed) with your PPL application, you are not charged for the FRTOL.

I did my FRTOL with the fabulous Vicky at Flying Flyers at Elstree. No connection otherwise.
By Irv Lee
kingbing wrote:You can pass the test and apply for the licence without the FRTOL but you will pay extra for the admin (about £70).
If you submit the signed FRTOL form (once you have passed) with your PPL application, you are not charged for the FRTOL.

Not sure about the first bit. It used to be if you had a pilot's licence or were applying for one with an application for a pilot's licence there was no charge for a radio licence. If you were not a pilot, you could have a radio licence to use the radio but were charged seventy pounds. Now, I know they like money for adding stuff, and do not know anyone who has added radio to an EASA licence "after", so not sure if adding a radio licence later is free or requires a fee.
By Irv Lee
matthew_w100 wrote:Is R/T not examined as part of the GFT now?

Negative, maybe you are thinking of English language assessments
By Irv Lee
They tried wot u sed for a few years back then, and you can hear the result on vhf on many a good weather weekend.
By kingbing
Irv Lee wrote:
kingbing wrote:You can pass the test and apply for the licence without the FRTOL but you will pay extra for the admin (about £70).
If you submit the signed FRTOL form (once you have passed) with your PPL application, you are not charged for the FRTOL.

Not sure about the first bit. It used to be if you had a pilot's licence or were applying for one with an application for a pilot's licence there was no charge for a radio licence. If you were not a pilot, you could have a radio licence to use the radio but were charged seventy pounds. Now, I know they like money for adding stuff, and do not know anyone who has added radio to an EASA licence "after", so not sure if adding a radio licence later is free or requires a fee.

Having just done all this, I have done some research. The CAA scheme of charges website says:

"Initial issue of all Light Aircraft Pilot Licences (LAPL) £153
Initial issue of PPL(A), (H) (including Change of State) £186
Initial issue of BPL or SPL £153
Initial issue of Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence (FRTOL)
£73

(free if application is made at the same time for the issue of a flight crew licence or if a UK issued flight crew licence is already held)"
By MichaelP
So now I know what FRTOL is.
Seeing the title I did wonder as I know VTOL, STOL, and even V/STOL but never heard of FRTOL.
Learn something new every day...