Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
pullup wrote:We should take this seriously and congratulate the "new" Project Pegasus exercise. We should also thank the CAA and Border Force for their RampChecks recently carried out at West London airfields.

The alternatives, if some politicians got their way, would be draconian for flying abroad.

The onus in now on us to clean up our act.

As the poster quite clearly states this follows the recent jailing of a person in relation to people trafficking...one of our own

Thanks again, Jetblu.

Clean up our act. Eh? Speak for yourself buddy. What do you get up to anyway? I just fly my light aeroplane every now and then.
By ChampChump
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We see BF periodically, usually when someone's GAR doesn't get through to them*. A good deal of time has been spent offering tea, biscuits, even cake, whilst showing them FR24 and other handy gizmos that might be of interest to them. The more we talk, the more they understand we are well aware of Project Pegasus and that it wouldn't take much to lose the system we enjoy currently. At best, it's a mutual aid society. During my bimbles around the coast, I think I'd notice a boatload of people scrambling up a quiet beach, although I admit it's rather an Enid Blyton example, especially in daylight...

* 8/10 probably due to inefficient GAR reporting systems, rather than any failing on the part of the pilot.
Dave W liked this
Well said Thumper !

I duly file GAR , GENDEC, whatever as required. Have yet to be met by Her Majesty's finest on any visit to the UK. I have had them complain a couple of times however that the required GAR was not in their possession. Luckily, I had a copy in my possession which was duly faxed to the appropriate number. After 5 pm on a Friday, no one was apparently around to confirm receipt of same.

Regardless of reality, politicians will do / say what suits their particular cause.
By Dave W
Thumper wrote:Clean up our act. Eh? Speak for yourself buddy. What do you get up to anyway? I just fly my light aeroplane every now and then.

Maybe read the thread more thoughtfully and consider the point of Project Pegasus before exploding?

It was quite evident that what was meant is "clean up our act" by being the eyes and ears of the security services, as the Project Pegasus material explicitly says. Not least in the the video matspart3 has posted from 2011.

There's little point finding reasons to fight amongst ourselves when instead there is an evident threat to all of us to focus on - and not just within our pastime - by actions such as good ol' Jetblu's.
Dave W wrote:
Thumper wrote:Clean up our act. Eh? Speak for yourself buddy. What do you get up to anyway? I just fly my light aeroplane every now and then.

Maybe read the thread more thoughtfully and consider the point of Project Pegasus before exploding?

It was quite evident that what was meant is "clean up our act" by being the eyes and ears of the security services, as the Project Pegasus material explicitly says. Not least in the the video matspart3 has posted from 2011.

There's little point finding reasons to fight amongst ourselves when instead there is an evident threat to all of us to focus on - and not just within our pastime - by actions such as good ol' Jetblu's.

No, you're quite right. There is clearly an issue spotting when something isn't right at the airfield a person uses year in year out; Ill go away and clean up my failing act.
By Dave W
You (we) use it year in year out - that's why you (we) are well placed to see something out of the ordinary and report it.

Much more so than the police etc who may not visit the airfield from one month to the next, if that. And hence won't know what "the ordinary" is.

That's the point.
ChampChump, will c, AlanC liked this
Rob P wrote:I think most of us would have reported the items suggested to somebody, but a good move to be seen to be doing something positive.

Suggestion for greater motivation.

Report a smuggler (People, drugs, arms, sleeping bags)
You win the confiscated aircraft

Rob P

"Dear Mr Rozzer, I think that there is this bloke called Rob, he flies an RV. He seems a bit shifty.

Please deliver my RV to White Waltham" :lol:
Rob P, cockney steve, johnm liked this
By Lefty
I really don't know why some folks are getting all uppity about this. What's the problem?

We do occasionally get visits from the Police / Border Force. Sometimes when they've had a tip off - but most frequently when there is a non EU passport holder on an incoming flight. However they are invariably polite and do what they need to with the minimum of fuss and impact to us.

I've come to know the 2-3 officers who regularly turn up here - and I make an effort to engage with them, talk to them about the actors that affect our flights and our ETA's - and ask them what we / I can do to make it easier for them - and consequently on us.

If you see more than two BF officers, it is likely that two are doing the job - whilst also giving "on the job" training to the others.

So I urge you all not to alienate these people. They are just doing their job and following the rules. There is nothing at all to be gained from antagonising them. They don't have any power to go back and change any of the rules.

Just remember that if you p... people off - they will respond by doing what they can to p... you off. And these folks have the power to p... us off - big time. "Play nice !"
Radar, ChampChump, Shoestring Flyer and 5 others liked this
"Play nice !"
Sums it up for me, bit of a game, border force being seen to be doing something in an area that is about as good at self policing as it can get.
In reality, we all keep out pride and joys at our airstrips and the security of them (aircraft and airstrip) is of prime concern to us, none of us want our bases used for nefarious purposes (except for the nefarious themselves of course) I pretty sure we are all as vigilant as we can be, but much less sure that being told to do the obvious has much positive effect.

As ever, Common sense covers most things quite nicely
Dave W, kanga liked this
Lefty wrote:... talk to them about the actors that affect our flights

Well Martin Shaw's L4 is pretty slow but he doesn't get in the way at all.

Hardly worth talking to the Border Force about him

Rob P
Dave W liked this
Lefty wrote:I really don't know why some folks are getting all uppity about this. What's the problem?

We do occasionally get visits from the Police / Border Force. Sometimes when they've had a tip off - but most frequently when there is a non EU passport holder on an incoming flight. However they are invariably polite and do what they need to with the minimum of fuss and impact to us.

I've come to know the 2-3 officers who regularly turn up here - and I make an effort to engage with them, talk to them about the actors that affect our flights and our ETA's - and ask them what we / I can do to make it easier for them - and consequently on us.

If you see more than two BF officers, it is likely that two are doing the job - whilst also giving "on the job" training to the others.

So I urge you all not to alienate these people. They are just doing their job and following the rules. There is nothing at all to be gained from antagonising them. They don't have any power to go back and change any of the rules.

Just remember that if you p... people off - they will respond by doing what they can to p... you off. And these folks have the power to p... us off - big time. "Play nice !"

Not all of them follow the rules .( OK most do ).
Being threatened at gun point by someone that clearly knows nothing about light aircraft doesn't help their cause .
However she was reported by her own colleagues on this occasion. :D
By MikeB
hatzflyer wrote:As I pointed out to them they would be better employed befriending us as their eyes.....

I have no doubt that most if not all of us on here would report suspicious activity if we recognised it as such. However I do wonder how many (if any) of the recent arrests have been made as a result of tip-offs from pilots rather than intelligence from other sources? I suspect that we pilots as a group are not an effective border guard.

Personally, I'm all in favour of increased BF presence if it helps maintain our current foreign flight privileges.