Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By davef77
I am about to start on the last page in my first log-book. my shiny new log-book is only 10 flights away.

It feels like a bit of an event in my flying career.

My first log book records just less than 500 hours. I have flown 17 different types, from C172 to CAP231ex.

I have flown to 44 different airfields.

When I started my log book I had already flown solo, in gliders, so I started trying to understand what all these instruments did in the C172 that I learned in.

My first power solo came on page 2 after 11 hours.

I qualified on page 4 after 38 hours. (I had some time off because of my gliding).

First aeros, 30 minutes on page 5 8)

For these aeros I flew for the first time from what is now my home field, White Waltham, in a CAP 10. I felt sick for several days after a few simple loops, rolls and stall turns. I was done-in by a roll off the top. :pale: :pukel:

This week (last page but one) I was flying knife-edge spins and outside loops from the top :shock:

My one and only zone infringement happened on page 6, pre-GPS days. I bust the B'ham zone :cry:

I was asked to phone ATC on landing, I was very nervous that they would take away this amazing gift that I had only just started to grasp. After they realised that I was a beginner and VERY aware of my mistake, they just told me to be more careful in future, so far I have. :thumleft:

I started learning aeros properly on page 11, in a T67.

I have approximately 80 hours in Chipmunks, 90 hours in a Yak 52, 90 hours in a Steen Skybolt, 100 hours in a Pitts and about 35 hours so far in my CAP.

Of my nearly 500 hours, about 220 of them mention aerobatics as part of the flight. I guess that I really am obsessed by turning the world upside down.

This little book records something very precious to me. It has captured, several times, the realization of my childhood dreams.

As a young boy I dreamt for flying. I dreamt of flying aerobatics. I dreamt of flying a Pitts. :thumleft: 8)

I am now flying things that are beyond what I imagined as a boy, in an aeroplane that is better than I imagined too.

Flying is such a glorious thing! That little book tells the story of all this in a few untidy notes in a series of tiny boxes 8)
G-BLEW, flyingeeza, Rob P and 27 others liked this
By Trent772
I maybe on my 4th logbook and some may say that a lot of it is spent reading the paper and drinking tea. That may be true, but I am a constant note writer and only last month a friend asked me for details of a flight we did ages ago. 20 minutes later I had the details for him but then spent the next 30 minutes reminiscing all the notes I made in that logbook of places I had been to, problems, hurricanes, Hajj flying etc etc.

Proper, paper logbooks are great time capsules, diaries of past adventures.
skydriller, mmcp42, Dave W and 4 others liked this
By SteveC
There is something exciting about starting a new logbook. I recently started my 10th and its already as full of corrections as the first one!!! I could just download the logs from work but its just not the same as nice paper logbook that you can flick back over years of flying and reminisce.
By Trent772
SteveC wrote:There is something exciting about starting a new logbook. I recently started my 10th and its already as full of corrections as the first one!!! I could just download the logs from work but its just not the same as nice paper logbook that you can flick back over years of flying and reminisce.

Is that why you needed 10 logbooks, so many corrections :lol:

I'll get me coat :pirat:
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
davef77 wrote:First aeros, 30 minutes on page 5 8)

For me, first aeros, probably log book number 3... :wink:

I think it was the day this photo was taken.

Me on the right, my instructor, MichaelP of this forum, next to me.
By Trent772
Aero's in a Cessna 170..... :lol:

Was the snap before or afterwards ?

:thumleft: :thumleft: