Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Gotta love the live leak blurb accompanying the video :

'When he got an engine failure he makes a snap decision to make an emergency landing..'

Good decision, I'd say...

Peter
By Paultheparaglider
I thought he was extremely fortunate. He appears to have landed with a tailwind, so staying on his feet was well done, but the fact he ended up so close to the shore with those rocks and breakers meant he was very lucky. I've flown a paraglider on Oahu and Maui, and the sea breezes can be very strong, and although there is no sign of whitecaps, they can pick up there over literally just minutes.

Small two stroke engines have a habit of stopping unexpectedly, even if that wasn't the direct cause here. I'd personally want a much bigger margin. My guess is the pilot will have gone straight out and bought himself a lottery ticket as his luck was definitely in that day.

By the way, I often used to phone my wife from the pg to tell her I was going to land and always used a lanyard. A number of my friends didn't bother, and the number of phones lost by being dropped was considerable.