Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mistral1
Hi - I understand I need to file a GAR form a minimum of 3 hours before returning to the UK and with Skydemon this is an easy task. But how far in advance can you file it and how accurate does your departure time need to be
Thanks
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
From an EU country* it's 4 hours in advance of your arrival time.

You can submit it as far in advance as you wish; departure time is not really critical. The key thing is to be sure that you and your pax do not leave the vicinity of your aircraft at your arrival airfield until after the time you'd said you would turn up, in order to give the Authorities the ability to meet you and investigate if they decide to do so. So hang around the booking in point, or somewhere similar, if you turn up early.

*Except the Republic of Ireland, when it is 12 hours (due to the Prevention of Terrorism Act)
By mistral1
Thanks for the quick response , what happens if I am delayed due to weather. Is arriving an hour or two later than stated on the form acceptable
By Rob P
I have always just phoned Norwich Border Force (as they would be the ones (not) turning up)

Is that number above new?

Rob P
TheLodger liked this
By pullup
Dave W wrote:From an EU country* it's 4 hours in advance of your arrival time.

The key thing is to be sure that you and your pax do not leave the vicinity of your aircraft at your arrival airfield until after the time you'd said you would turn up, in order to give the Authorities the ability to meet you and investigate if they decide to do so. So hang around the booking in point, or somewhere similar, if you turn up early.

My understanding is that you must wait 30 minutes after your landing (or ETA, whichever is latest) and, if the Border Force have not arrived, you are free to go.

If BF wish to see you they usually phone the airfield first to check on your ETA from the flight plan departure message. At least that's what they do where I work!
By Dave W
Rob P wrote:Is that number above new?

Yes, it is - within the last 2 or 3 months I think. There's a recorded message on the old number directing you to it.

I've never seen the 30 minutes @pullup mentions written anywhere - I think it's one of those "Man in a pub told me" rules! If there's nobody there at the time I said I would arrive, I go home. (Also, I operate from a strip so there is nobody there to advise on a DEP message.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Me too. If I arrive when I said I was going to arrive I'm off as quickly as I can put the aircraft in the hangar - which in truth is possibly the best part of thirty minutes anyway. I wouldn't leave the airfield before the time I said I'd arrive under any circumstances. I am sure the Norwich people would enjoy getting out of the office and down to Old Buck, it would be a shame not to at least say 'hello' if they did.

Rob P
By Pilot H
Dave W wrote:I call the "GAR Emergency Helpline" under those circumstances, and tell them I will be delayed. (+443000516661)

When I have had cause to do that they have invariably been understanding and pragmatic.

That number has changed recently. From AOPA website:

Emergency General Aviation Report (GAR) Telephone Line (0845 723 1110) OR (SWITCHBOARD: 0300 123 2012) : If you need to submit or amend a GAR for Border Force purposes in an emergency situation, you may call the GAR Emergency Telephone Line on +44 (0) 845 723 1110 OR Switchboard: +44 (0) 300 123 2012 from abroad.