Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By stodge
As a private Cessna 182 driver (based Denham) and writer (in professional life), I've always been curious to know what's involved in taking your pet (dog?/cat?) flying. I believe some people go for pretty long cross country trips with their hound enjoying the view from the RH seat! Feels like there might be a nice story in here, a distinctly alternative take on passenger care, and potentially a great way to travel long distances with your mutt.

Is there anybody on here I could touch base with who enjoys flying with their pet(s)?

Thanks in advance,
Stodge
By Mr Dinos
I flew with my one year old Jack Russell for the first time on BH Monday. It was a shortish flight but a great experience. I bought her a set of Mutt Muffs which worked well and she slept on my wife and daughter the whole way there and back but occasionally stretched up to look out.

Great day and looking forward to doing it again.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
G-JWTP wrote: I think the lady who set up the site used to fly with her dog.

Sort of. One of the dogs really didn't take to flying, but that dog didn't take to going in a boat either and is scared of most things! The other one took flying in its stride, but flying with just one of the dogs wasn't entirely practical.
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
G-JWTP wrote: I think the lady who set up the site used to fly with her dog.

Sort of. One of the dogs really didn't take to flying, but that dog didn't take to going in a boat either and is scared of most things! The other one took flying in its stride, but flying with just one of the dogs wasn't entirely practical.[/quote

Just like children!

G-JWTP
By CessnaAL25
I truley believe that flying with straped in dogs is safe however flying with cats is a diffrent matter altogether.
Cats can be very dangerous in the cockpit they are fast and nibble and are disracting and they love to jump on to the control coloum this is the reason that i would never take a cat up in an aeroplane.
Ceassna Al
By PaulSS
I remember, when I was MUCH younger and doing my Flying Scholarship/PPL at Compton Abbas, there were two club cats (Cirrus & Stratus). One of them used to love going flying and you had to do a good check of the baggage compartment to check he wasn't hiding in there. Although I never flew with him, he was often seen taking to the skies with one of the instructors and, allegedly, seemed to enjoy aerobatics (presumably +ve 'g'). There was also an older chap who regularly visited the field in his Tri Pacer. His travelling companion was his mutt who sat rigidly to attention in the right seat and genuinely seemed to enjoy it. To be honest I never saw a human in that particular seat.

I've got a Dalmation and their hair is so spiky that I wouldn't want to have to pick them out of my aircraft seats (it's bad enough when she's in the back of a Land Cruiser), so she won't be taking to the air with me.