Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By zlhglp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ive had to avoid many contacts who have probably been heads down in VFR and had to take aggressive avoiding action.

On the other hand, perhaps loads of pilots have had to take avoiding action because you didn't see them. How would you know?

If you look into the question on google scholar, there are loads of papers both practical and theoretical showing just how bad the MKI eyeball is at seeing conflicting traffic. There are theoretical studies calculating how long it would take to thoroughly scan the recommended area - showing that it's simply not humanly possible. There are practical studies where they sit a pilot as a passenger in a cockpit with nothing to do other than to tell the researcher whenever they see conflicting traffic - whilst another aircraft flies rings around them. The bottom line is that we're not much good at it and the reason there are so few mid-air collisions is that the sky is so big and there are so few of us, rather than because we're keeping a good look out.

Glider pilots are adamant that we are a lot of myopic old bats who don't look where we are going - probably because they can hear our engine noise and actually see the near misses that we remain blissfully unaware of. I hear from people who install traffic warning systems that they are startled by how little of the potentially conflicting traffic they were aware of before they installed their systems.

My own view is that I do look out of the cockpit and try to maintain a good scan, but I place more faith in the big sky theory. The exception to this is when you're in the circuit and can potentially predict where conflicting traffic is most likely to be and focus your scan on these areas. It always surprises me how hard it can be to pick out an aircraft e.g. on short final, even when you have a very good idea where to look for it.
UpThere, flyingyod, T67M and 2 others liked this
By CloudHound
Another trap for the unwary is the dreaded "Basic Service". Flying last week I used London FIS on 124.60 as I was routing along the south coast from Eastbourne to Folkestone.

Now it's a while since I last called them, so being given a squawk (1177) slightly took me by surprise. Saw nothing outbound.

Inbound it was quite busy on frequency, so I paid ear attention to the calls. One was an a/c routing out of Sandown IoW to Headcorn. At around the time I estimated our paths would cross I saw traffic in my 2 o'clock left to right 500' below.

I hadn't expected traffic info but thought how easy it might be for someone to think being given the squawk meant that.
By pullup
Ears are equally important....maybe more so.

You will hear from ATC, TCAS, passengers, crew, other aircraft transmissions etc...etc..

Just think of the number of times you see traffic only after being told about it by these people/aids.
By CessnaAL25
Im not really sure but in a PA28 a window is all your blessed with....no bloody door on the left side.... really silly idea but i suppose it cost them thousands less :D