Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I know there was a discussion on this subject back in 2007 but I was wondering if anyone had any more recent information on any long strips in the Pembrokeshire area where a friendly farmer might have spare hangarage. Need a minimum of 1,500 feet to get airborne as only a 100 HP engine.

Is there a current list of airstrips in the UK with details and contact details for PPR?

Does anyone have any particular recommendations, (or otherwise), regarding flying schools in the UK? Looking for somewhere friendly, efficient with the priority being to turn out safe pilots. Need lots of help with ground school. Need a 7 day a week operation with enthusiastic instructors.

Advice warmly appreciated.

Steve
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Glidingdoc wrote:I know there was a discussion on this subject back in 2007 but I was wondering if anyone had any more recent information on any long strips in the Pembrokeshire area where a friendly farmer might have spare hangarage. Need a minimum of 1,500 feet to get airborne as only a 100 HP engine.

Is there a current list of airstrips in the UK with details and contact details for PPR?

Does anyone have any particular recommendations, (or otherwise), regarding flying schools in the UK? Looking for somewhere friendly, efficient with the priority being to turn out safe pilots. Need lots of help with ground school. Need a 7 day a week operation with enthusiastic instructors.

Advice warmly appreciated.

Steve

Lockyears might be a good place to start for airstrips.

http://www.transair.co.uk/product+t+lockyears%20guide

Sorry can't help with flight schools :(

Peter
oh I love the unconventional!

Just thinking that locating his aeroplane at an airfield that has a school would allow some/all of the training to be done in his own aeroplane.
By PeteSpencer
Sooty25 wrote:oh I love the unconventional!

Just thinking that locating his aeroplane at an airfield that has a school would allow some/all of the training to be done in his own aeroplane.

Could also make him a bit of money leasing it to the flying school while he's not using it....

Peter
By leiafee
I only really know of Haverfordwest within Pembs itself. Never come across Rhos y Gilwern by name but do vaguely knew there was a strip out that way.

Rosemarket is lovely and , but there's no based aircraft it's a pop-in destination attached to the golf course 'cause the old boy there likes aeroplanes and used to have a Cub there.

Maes y Bont International / Long Life Farm has tightish planning I believe and is shortish.

Pembrey and Aberporth are next closest albeit in opposite directions.