Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Skylaunch2 wrote:Sure sounds alright and sensible for those with alternators, however can't see that lasting long for those without, for some a few hours in and the transponder will fail with the rest of the avionics as the batteries run dry, then who's to blame?

Er, no one because that case is covered?

SERA.13001 Operation of an SSR transponder

(c) Except for flight in airspace designated by the competent authority for mandatory operation of transponder, aircraft without sufficient electrical power supply are exempted from the requirement to operate the transponder at all times.
By GrahamB
Mike Tango wrote:You expect people to read and understand before replying when they have an agenda to promote?

Seriously?

Thanks for saving me from the temptation of having to make a rather strained metaphorical rant about people joining mid-downwind in the thread circuit, observing neither the other traffic nor the rules of the air, not having been bothered to look up the airfield plate in advance to find out what the rules may be, no idea where other traffic is positioned, and without a clue about the wind direction to give an indication of where drift is likely to take them ....

Well that didn't work then.
Dave W, Hawkwind, Mike Tango and 4 others liked this
jasoncuk wrote:So a sensible rule with well thought out exceptions. What’s not to like?

The rule is well thought out – well not in my opinion, no.

There is no exemption for formation flying. The old situation was that if you were in a formation only one aircraft used its transponder as too many transponders too close together caused big problems. It is my understanding that this is still the case, but there is no exemption.

If you are going to mandate the use of transponders you need to tackle carriage of transponders. At the moment all VFR GA aircraft carry transponders on a volunteer basis. In many cases the aircraft could operate without one just fine. Remove a transponder and sell it and you are £1000 ish better off and no mandation to use what you do not have. I have worked hard to get people to use transponders, it would be disappointing if people decide to fly without one.

If you are going to mandate using a transponder if fitted, then you should, at the same time, mandate the use of ADS-b if fitted – this was not done.

This appears to be a poorly thought out ½ measure which did not consider the big picture.

Rod1
Nick liked this
By Dave W
Rod1 wrote:There is no exemption for formation flying. The old situation was that if you were in a formation only one aircraft used its transponder as too many transponders too close together caused big problems. It is my understanding that this is still the case, but there is no exemption.

As noted by @Europaul383 earlier in the thread, the associated AMC & GM says:

EASA wrote:GM1 SERA.13001 Operation of an SSR transponder
Pilots of aircraft engaged in formation join-ups are expected to continue operating the transponder until established in formation. Once established in formation, all except the lead aircraft should be instructed to ‘squawk standby’.
By leiafee
Rod1 wrote:At the moment all VFR GA aircraft carry transponders on a volunteer basis. In many cases the aircraft could operate without one just fine. Remove a transponder and sell it and you are £1000 ish better off and no mandation to use what you do not have.

Are there really people who would remove and sell their transponder rather than be 'forced' to switch it on?

I mean either we're talking extreme edge cases here or UK GA really is beyond help.
kanga, neilmurg, MercianMarcus and 3 others liked this