Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingyod
I'm looking for suggestions as to where to do tailwheel training. I'm based in north Norfolk and can fly to possible training locations. Preference would be to do it in a Super Cub. Will probably do it next month. Currently considering the following

- Clacton/Duxford (I think they're the same people, it seems that the tailwheel training is normally done at Clacton but will be done from Duxford in October)
- Andrewsfield
- Cambridge (they have an Extra 200 rather than the Cub)
- Stapleford (did my PPL here)
- Skyward at Rougham (I know nothing about these people)

Any suggestions/feedback/alternatives?

Cheers

Neil
Skyward are generally excellent. They've only just done a deal for the supercub and it came with an instructor.

IF the level is as good as their ab initio training, I'd recommend them, but I've not met the new chap. (Must come recommended if Chris SR wants to use him though)
By neilld
matspart3 wrote:Have a chat with James Peplow at Aircraft Differences Training based at Gloucester. He regularly does one to one, bespoke, intensive courses on his (delightful) Citabria.

+1 for James
By gustav
I did a tailwheel conversion at Rougham in their new 150 Super Cub last month. I had done a bit of tailwheel flying previously in USA but was still surprised when Clive (their instructor) sent me solo after less than 2 hours. The runway is 800 meters grass and very wide (which helped a bit on one or two of my landings :roll: ) and its a real friendly place to visit. Their pre course training material is excellent also and I will certainly be going back for some solo hire.
Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like Rougham might be top of the list - I had a chat with them and they sound very good, and also it has the advantage that I can drive there if I can't get hold of the group 'plane in order to fly there (wouldn't fancy the drive down to Clacton...)
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
+ 1 for Rougham.

Got checked out on their Archer recently for back-up hire.

Recent Cub acquisition mentioned elsewhere.

Great people :Have known the owners for 30 years.

Handy for me (2 miles from my front door) What's not to like.

Peter
flyingyod liked this