Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
PeteSpencer wrote:Why do people persist in buying a/c that are such a pig to taxy, takeoff and land?

Is it a macho thing? :lol:

Peter :wink:

Yep, it is a macho thing. But it's also a romatic thing and an access to the types of aeroplanes I like to fly thing. For me, tailwheel aeroplanes are just cooler, faster, more likely to be aerobatic, and they fit the dreams of the flying life ahead of me that I had as a small boy.
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Crash one wrote:
ianfallon wrote:
kanga wrote:
or, indeed, a nosewheel one .. :roll:

[I recall the Examiner, after my GFT, in a n/w C150 rather than the t/w C140 in which I'd started as a SPL, saying "This bit of paper [a Pass] is giving you just a licence to learn" :thumright: ]

Yes but your average tailwheel a/c is an order of magnitude more likely to bite than a comparable nose-wheel.

Let's not frighten people with that nonsense. It depends on the aircraft.
Taildraggers demand respect, nose draggers would like it but it's less important.
All the pilot has to do is fly properly.

It's not nonsense at all. That's why I said "comparable". Nor intended to frighten.
Tailwheel aircraft are often referred to as tail draggers. That is because they appear to drag their rear ( tail ) on the ground.

How the f**k can you have a nose DRAGGER ?
I hate it when people use that term. :D
By PeteSpencer
hatzflyer wrote:Tailwheel aircraft are often referred to as tail draggers. That is because they appear to drag their rear ( tail ) on the ground.

How the f**k can you have a nose DRAGGER ?

Easy: tail draggers can be nose draggers too: especially when started up with the brakes on and the tap wide open :wink:

Peter
By PeteSpencer
Maxthelion wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Why do people persist in buying a/c that are such a pig to taxy, takeoff and land?

Yep, it is a macho thing. But it's also a romatic thing and an access to the types of aeroplanes I like to fly thing. For me, tailwheel aeroplanes are just cooler, faster, more likely to be aerobatic, and they fit the dreams of the flying life ahead of me that I had as a small boy.

Ah that explains it: I don't do macho or aerobatics or taildragger Probably dates from my teenage memory of an air experience flight in a Chipmunk of the Camb Univ Air Sqdn in the early 60s when I comprehensively filled the barf bag to the brim and then had to sit holding it while it leaked from the seams all over my CCF RAF uniform. :pale:

Each to his own. :wink:

Peter
By PeteSpencer
hatzflyer wrote:Is you coming to the Curry?

No more than 50:50 at present: Next week is mad and I may have to do a lift by car that evening.
Let you know Sunday/Monday.
Peter
By riverrock
hatzflyer wrote:Tailwheel aircraft are often referred to as tail draggers. That is because they appear to drag their rear ( tail ) on the ground.

Some only have skids at the back (not a wheel). They literally drag their tail on the ground.
Which could also be something to do with the name.
By Rob P
PeteSpencer wrote: I comprehensively filled the barf bag to the brim and then had to sit holding it

hatzflyer wrote:Is you coming to the Curry?

I love the juxtaposition :lol:

Rob P
By ChampChump
Maxthelion wrote:

Faster? :lol:
Macho? :lol:

They just look right, feel right and we get to keep the oldies airborne (awaits the inevitable comment).

If the only chance to fly was in a 172 or PA28 I'd change my views pdq but so far.... :D :D :D
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:

Yup it is, and because you cannot take an Arrer into here:

The macho bit fits: along with the scorn expressed by tail dragger pilots in calling our tricycle gear steeds 'spam cans'

I don't believe I would ever call a taildragger anything other than a taildragger: perhaps I'll conjour up a derogatory term for RVs and their ilk and float it on here. :lol:

Peter