Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I was determined not to miss this years LAA Rally after having to turn back last year because of bad weather over the hills just south of Greenham Common.
As is usual, I chose the wrong day this year, Sunday, as a front was rapidly approaching from the West. I didn't sleep much on Saturday night, constantly checking the BBC weather for a glimmer of remission with the forecast. The 05:00 forecast showed a chink and I reckoned I could just get away in front of the deteriorating weather. I knew the weather to the North was ok so I got to my hangar, pulled my aeroplane out and started fuelling it and checking it out as the black sky raced towards me and the rain started falling. Being careful to not be in too much of a hurry as to omit a vital check I took of and turned North, quickly finding clearer skies and with a very healthy 30 Kts up my jacksy.
Albeit a little cool, apparently no comparison to Saturdays balmy weather, I enjoyed my traditional egg, bacon and sausage bap with a cup of tea and wandered from stand to stand for the rest of the day and meeting up with familiar faces.
Getting back to The New Forest was not going to be possible as heavy rain and poor vis was the order of the day so I booked a room at The Aviator Hotel the upside of which was being able to sample some local ales.
The next day dawned with fog which wasn't going to clear before mid afternoon but during breakfast I met many other stranded pilots and we all chatted and swapped stories in the way we all do when we come across like minded souls in a pickle.
There were four guys in RV7s from West Wales who decided they would not even attempt to get back and hired a car between them to tour the area.
There were two chaps from Newtownards in Eurostars who got the TAF from the IOM giving cloud at 100 feet but were still hoping things would improve later. (I hope they didn't go because they were very optimistic, I thought, without a very good reason).
A pilot and his Cub bound for Lasham was rewarded for his patience later in the afternoon when the sun started shining on Sywell and he took off.
There was a Europa pilot bound for Portugal and he took off shortly after.
I found the banter we all produced had real entertainment value and brought about a satisfactory conclusion to another successful LAA Rally.
I wish the West Wales and Irish contingents a safe trip when they eventually get away and look forward to The Rally next year.
2Donkeys, G-BLEW, ivor.phillips and 6 others liked this