Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Does anyone currently pay a business rate on their hangar and strip which is located on the same land on which their residential property is located?

I ask this as it looks as though my local authority is going to chase me for business rates now that my strip and hangar have planning permission.

It seems that the argument I could put forward that the strip and hangar are for my own use and I do not operate any form of business either from my residence or anywhere else for that matter cuts no ice.

Even the lady from the Valuation Office Agency who called at my place today says the legislation is ridiculous and it was the local authority that requested the VOA visit to assess the rateable value and that if they do attempt to clobber me with a business rate she suggested I should appeal against it, as from her experience I would have a good case for a successful appeal.

Anyone got any advice on this matter? Thanks in advance.
You'd have thought so but they deem the strip and hangar as non residential and commercial doesn't come into it.

I would have thought that any land and buildings used solely for the use and enjoyment of the occupiers of the main residence would not attract an NDR (Non Domestic Rate) but it seems the legislation doesn't recognise this argument.

So what happens when someone builds a stable and menage on land next to their main residence? Would they get clobbered with an assessment for a NDR?
Surely if it's personal use and there is no landing fee for visitors then it cannot be a business? I think I may have seen some carefully worded 'contributions for upkeep of runway' in some farm strip guides so maybe this is relevant to other owners with similar issues in the past?

Good luck.
rogcal wrote:So what happens when someone builds a stable and menage on land next to their main residence? Would they get clobbered with an assessment for a NDR?

I hope so...'cos this little one has been seen locally where a "private facility" suddenly and rather quietly changes into a business venture.
The more they scream at the planning stage about how it is for my family's use the more you know its just a front for a commercial venture.
Why have you got a hangar and a strip at your home ?

I have a field with an agricultural building were I keep my tractor and lawnmower, just so happens that sometimes my aircraft goes in the agricultural building along side my tractor and lawn mower but that's for when I am not using it for spraying my crops, get my drift :wink: