Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
All aerodromes that are just outside a CAS boundary should be placed inside CAS.

That gets people picking up the radio when out/inbound and will solve the majority of the impact of infringements!

:shock: :wink: :twisted:
I was flying along the other day to look at the QEC when she was off the IOW and on my way back, I checked something on the phone and when I switched it back to GPS, it put me square in the middle of Southampton zone. Even though I knew where I was, my heart jumped, I swerved out at 90 degrees and swore a lot. Then the GPS came to its senses and jumped me back out of the zone.
By chevvron
Cub wrote:Just to point out that most Air Trafficers will smile at this thread because unfortunately, this happens day in, day out at LTMA airports.

A bit like "Police met low cost operator's flight on arrival to remove drunk and disruptive pax." Completely avoidable, but unfortunately happens all the time.

Had one about 10 years ago - maybe slightly longer - with Heathrow on easterlies.
I was doing Farnborough LARS (only the one position in those days) and Heathrow called pointing out a '7000' around the Windsor area and asking If I had talked to it; I could see a couple had already been broken off the 09L ILS and continued watching the unknown.
Sods law, a few minutes later an aircraft called with the DF bearing of the unknown, so I instructed it to squawk at the same time phoning Heathrow. When identified, I instructed it to turn onto a heading which would take it out of the zone by the shortest route and instructed the pilot to contact SVFR as it was in those days.
I think they broke off about 6 from the ILS plus had to delay quite a few more so the disruption would have taken a considrable time to clear. Fuller details on Irv Lee's website.
It was an aircraft registered in the Southern hemisphere operating out of Denham. Years later, same aircraft, same pilot, ( I recognised the accent) different registration, he nearly did a gear up landing at Fairoaks had I not yelled at him several times; said he was 'distracted' by a prop runaway.
By chevvron
James Chan wrote:All aerodromes that are just outside a CAS boundary should be placed inside CAS.

That gets people picking up the radio when out/inbound and will solve the majority of the impact of infringements!

:shock: :wink: :twisted:

Are you really suggesting that the Heathrow CTR is expanded to cover Farnborough, Blackbushe, Wycombe, Elstree and Biggin in addition to Fairoaks, White Waltham and Denham? :twisted:
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Were you once upon a time an ATCO spotting planes from a tower or targets on a radar?

Did you not spot the wink?!
By chevvron
James Chan wrote:Were you once upon a time an ATCO spotting planes from a tower or targets on a radar?

Did you not spot the wink?!

Did you not spot my 'smiley'?
I've met several controllers who were 'avid' spotters, mostly from LATCC.
When I first joined as an assistant at West Drayton, there was a huge window at one end of the room. Every day, there would be mass movements of spotters to this window to look at a con-trail which belonged to an aircraft they wanted to log, usually an eastbound transatlantic flight which had just passed Woodley.
Every Farnborough Airshow, the liaison ATCOs from LATCC were keen spotters who would rush to the window when a 'new' type was landing.
chevvron wrote:..
I've met several controllers who were 'avid' spotters, .. keen spotters who would rush to the window when a 'new' type was landing.

I was once ('70s) in the top (visual, TWR) room of the Tower at (IIRC) RAF Linton-on-Ouse, when RN aspirant pilot Midshipmen were undergoing Primary training there in Bulldogs; Prince Andrew gave me a very smart salute there (as, indeed, he should have done :) ). Visits by RN Sea Devons, Sea Herons and Sea Princes were common.

An arriving 'Navy' callsign came up on TWR freq. ATCA promptly telephoned to POL to request 'AVGAS Bowser to VAS'. Navy landed: it was first visit there by a RN Jetstream. Much rubbernecking by everyone as it taxied past... I waited .. After a bit I tentatively suggested that another call to POL might be in order requesting an AVTUR Bowser instead. :roll: TWR ATCO seemed a bit embarrassed that he had not picked up on that.
idlelayabout, chevvron liked this
By neaton
kanga wrote: After a bit I tentatively suggested that another call to POL might be in order requesting an AVTUR Bowser instead. :roll: TWR ATCO seemed a bit embarrassed that he had not picked up on that.

So they took off with the CO's motorbike unrefuelled? For shame... :lol:
kanga liked this
By chevvron
AlanM wrote:
Every Farnborough Airshow, the liaison ATCOs from LATCC were keen spotters who would rush to the window when a 'new' type was landing

Except me chevvers! :lol:

Not Steve Mc either but the other Alan did, as did Frank and RB.
But having said that, I seem to remember your camera being waved around quite a lot :D
By Rob L
chevvron wrote:
Irv Lee wrote:
chevvron wrote:Fuller details on Irv Lee's website.
replay number 1 presumably on here? http://flyontrack.co.uk/radar-replays/
(Technically/legally Gasco is the owner, I just do the work!)

Yep that's the one.
Had a brainfade and couldn't remember 'Flyontrack'. :roll:

That Replay 1 was a person of my acquaintance. I seem to recall that the pilot, flying solo, had just bought a new in-cockpit navigational toy, and was practicing its use and either got confused or did not appreciate the approaching airspace. The fine+costs was quite significant; circa £6K back then.