Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob L
I'll be flying in non-radio this year (the first time non-radio at this event for me), so I thought I'd pay particular attention to the AIC Y 049/2017, which I'm sure every participant will read before arrival :thumleft: . There are several errors in it (the ones I have seen are simple paragraph reference errors; nothing that a decent NATS text or technical auditor would not have noticed :roll: )

Anyone else ever flown in non-radio? I hope to meet old friends there, and make some new ones!

Rob
I try and follow it to the letter. However every time I've flown in (never non-radio) I've had others joining downwind or even found them under me when downwind. Last time I extended downwind for separation to the slow aircraft in front of me and then found the two behind me had cut inside me.

Good luck!
Every year you hear stories like the above, and that coupled with 26 pages of instructions (that some won't follow) just makes me want to avoid the whole thing and go and do something less stressful.
Rob P, XX liked this
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Being able to exercise one's right to arrive at the LAA Rally non-radio is, I guess fair enough, particularly if you don't own a radio. But, after attending many times, I would be a lot less comfortable in that environment without gaining the situational awareness of hearing where everyone else thinks they are.

This has undoubtedly saved me from several close encounters at Sywell and Kemble. Similarly, an RV pilot came up to me in the aircraft park apologising profusely, saying he would have definitely flown into me if he hadn't heard my final call and modified his scan. I never saw him.

LAA Rally non-radio. You can, but do you really want or need to?

PS Sywell write the AIC text not NATS, they just publish it.
Last edited by Cub on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gasman liked this
Cub wrote:Being able to exercise one's right to arrive at the LAA Rally non-radio is, I guess fair enough, particularly if you don't own a radio. But, after attending many times, I would be a lot less comfortable in that environment without gaining the situational awareness of hearing where everyone else thinks they are.

I've only read the aic once. But I came away with the impression that in the normal course of events you did NOT give position reports and ONLY called FINAL when you became number one.

Guess I'd better reread it before I go. :oops:
rogerb liked this
By rogerb
I've never had a problem with call when number one with runway of choice, hard or grass.
Given the variety of locations folk either choose to or are able to make calls reliance on eyeballs is always my number one when joining.
By Cub
GolfHotel wrote:
Cub wrote:Being able to exercise one's right to arrive at the LAA Rally non-radio is, I guess fair enough, particularly if you don't own a radio. But, after attending many times, I would be a lot less comfortable in that environment without gaining the situational awareness of hearing where everyone else thinks they are.

I've only read the aic once. But I came away with the impression that in the normal course of events you did NOT give position reports and ONLY called FINAL when you became number one.

Exactly. That final call is pretty important in determining what other people's perception is and informing them of my perception. You could do without it but it might just save you. I have a radar replay of LAA Rally arrivals from a few years ago - you would use all facilities you can having watched it.
By PaulB

Wouldn't it be so much safer if there was a way of seeing the other aircraft on some sort of screen? If only that technology existed.
Cub liked this
Cub wrote:
GolfHotel wrote:

Exactly. That final call is pretty important in determining what other people's perception is and informing them of my perception. You could do without it but it might just save you. I have a radar replay of LAA Rally arrivals from a few years ago - you would use all facilities you can having watched it.

Good job its so important as its the only one you get! Despite implications to the contra. So you join the hold, leave the hold, fly down wind if required, fly base, turn onto final and then when you become number one you let everyone know. I'm most impressed at the level of situational awareness you get from that one call.
Nick liked this
By Rob L
Cub wrote:..PS Sywell write the AIC text not NATS, they just publish it.

I respectfully disagree, but can't reach you by other means to discuss, and I don't want to digress this thread any further....please PM or contact otherwise! :)
Rob
By Cub
You disagree and don't wish to discuss this further. That, of course, is your right so do I really need to call you other than to say a cordial, hello?

PS Available on the work phone before 0830 on 07825 503572
By Wide-Body
There are some aircraft out there where having a radio is proving highly troublesome. The engine of my wife's 1930's aircraft generates so much interference that so far it will be non radio. It does operate on receive.

So whilst Cub what you say is true, sometimes it is not possible. Feel free to come and have a go sorting it out.

Now as a learned ATCO, what is the legality of a Shepherd aircraft making her final approach call for her.
Just tried to put the coordinates for the waypoints around pitford water into skydemon with no luck,
I tried using all the formats available then phoned sywell for clarification, Answer. we lifted them from google earth so i would ignore them if i was you, Far better IMO to have not included them especially for Foreign pilots that are totally unfamiliar with the area,
should be fun. I Hope!!