Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rats404
As is usual for me, I've just closed a deal at fairly short notice for my next contract. I'll be working in Germany for the next six months in Dusseldorf.

Do any forumites have any insights into an EASA licenced Brit pilot flying in Germany, and/or have any links to flying clubs in the area?

TIA

Rats404
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
VFR flying in Germany is very easy and enjoyable, much like flying in France but without all the red areas on the chart. Flight Information extremely helpful and will look out for you on radar when necessary, even if on a FIS. Class D transits typically no problem. Airfields almost universally friendly, although there's always the odd one...
rats404 liked this
By Jonzarno
The only insight I can give you is that you don't need any insights!

As stated in an earlier post: GA flying in Germany is very easy and, if you are in Düsseldorf, Monchengladbach is an excellent airport from which to do it. :thumright:
rats404 liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Just one thing to be aware of, certain bits of airspace attract charges to use. You'll get a bill from Eurocontrol somewhere down the line. We had that when we did the Berlin trip.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Just one thing to be aware of, certain bits of airspace attract charges to use. You'll get a bill from Eurocontrol somewhere down the line. We had that when we did the Berlin trip.

The bill is from DFS - not Eurocontrol IIRC, happens only when you fly into the larger regional airports. Last one I had was for something like €14 from Münster/Osnabrück in 2008 on the way to Tempelhof.

There is a very clear distinction between clubs and schools.

Membership of a club is that and truly means being a member of a community which does focus on making flying affordable and available to members. They often have a large number of 'passive' members who have an affinity to the club, may have been active pilots before but now want to contribute something and take part in some of the social events.

These clubs usually have some trainers, some tourers and often combine powered (SEP) flying with gliding and motor gliding.

Membership is usually by a monthly contribution and then an hourly flying rate. Instruction and checkouts are commonly undertaken by members with instructor ratings and typically do not incur an extra charge.

Members are expected to do additional tasks related to the flying, such as washing the aeroplanes, helping with the maintenance (a number of hours during the winter) club administration etc.

6 months may be too short to get involved in such club flying but certainly something to explore at the nearby airfields (there are at least 4 GA airfields within an hour's drive from Dusseldorf.

The other option is straight forward hire from a school which is more akin to what we see in the club and school environment in the UK.

GA in Germany is alive and well and there are a gazillion great destinations to choose from when you are based in the Dusseldorf area.

Have fun!
By golfcharlie
Flying in Germany is great. Step one: get hold of the current half mil chart. Step two: get hold of the 'Flieger Taschen Kalender'; Step three, locate an airfield near your home. If you want a relaxed non-controlled environment, take a look at Kamp Lintfort, near D'Dorf. Sailplanes, motor gliders, powered aircraft etc., last time I looked.
Moenchen Gladbach ("Munchie Crunchie") is popular with bizjets (£££££).
You should have a good time.
In Germany, the 'clubs' are member-owned and operated, and go under the name of 'Verein'. Usually there is a joining fee in addition to other obligations.
This is different to pure aircraft hire companies. Their business model usually runs under the term 'charter'; which to Germans means something different to the usual English language understanding of a 'rental organisation'.
There is more fun to be had with the Verein, than with the Charter business. And lower prices.