Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Grumpy One
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A pal has just texted me that he's heard that an RV7A had had a mishap at Old Sarum on Tuesday last (14th) - Anyone have any info?
Single occupant.
Understand minor injuries only - Thank goodness.
By Grumpy One
Grumpy One wrote:A pal has just texted me that he's heard that an RV had had a mishap at Old Sarum on Tuesday last (15th) - Anyone have any info?
Single occupant. Looks like a damaged nose wheel BEFORE the landing & he flipped over when it finally gave way. :(
Understand minor injuries only - Thank goodness.

Edited multiple times as better info arrives.
Last edited by Grumpy One on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Grumpy One
seanxair wrote:Poor sod. All over the internet before he called his family probably. :(

Hardly - Evidently It was over two days ago. But if you feel aggrieved, then I'll delete the whole topic.
By bogopper
matthew_w100 wrote:Are we allowed to talk about it yet? Or do we have to wait for the AAIB before being permitted to speculate?

Having recently had a snotty letter from a acquaintance for telling a private group that a prang had resulted in all 'OK', then I am well up for discussing it... the cat is out of the bag. People are fine or going to be and everything else can be fixed with the application of money...

so, nosewheel RV's... who would have them

Mark

p.s. don't ask me who, where, what or when it will only wind the old buggers up more
By nallen
Out of interest, the closing credit says the plane "is likely a write-off" … but it doesn't look that bad, does it?
By Dave W
Iceman wrote:I think that I would have had the engine stopped prior to touch down.

Iceman 8)

There's a very thought-provoking Avweb article (Bertorelli, maybe?) which makes what to me was a good case for NOT doing that. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Not Paul B - Rick Durden.

I do feel for the RV6A pilot and am very glad he doesn't seem to have been seriously injured.

Escaping unaided from an inverted tipup RV-6/7/9 may need the canopy smashing. There are several threads discussing this on the Van' s Air Force forums.
shortwing, Ben K liked this
Of course its easy to comment from the comfort of your key board.

If the pilot was aware of the extent of damage to the nose wheel, maybe from a low flypast with a visual report from the tower or observers on the ground it may have been prudent to have landed on a hard runway to try and avoid the nose wheel digging in as it did.

But that easy to say after the event, either way he walked away from it which is a good outcome.