Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Dunno what's wrong with the Merlins, maybe the paperwork. What kept the Grob 109s grounded? No, don't answer that.

I heard something about them finding metal swarf in oil that had been drained, so they have grounded all Merlin engined aircraft until they find out where it has come from.
I listened to the whole thing on my iPad.
A chap from Biggin said that they may have found something on a "magnetic" chip, and I believe oil analysis was mentioned.

The steam buff was concerned that hundreds of people might be killed if a Spitfire crashed at an airshow. While the London to Brighton run drivers could pull over when they broke down.

There's confusion between replicas and restored and properly maintained aircraft.
These people have no idea of how many vintage aircraft fly every day in Britain... Mad men and women fly Tiger Moths, and Piper Cubs, Austers some times! Oh my, we'll have to ground most of the country's fleet of small aeroplanes as well, they're all too old.

But at the end of it Jeremy did concede that the majority of callers were all for keeping 'em flying, and there's some comfort in the fact that being British often means everything from traction engines to Lancaster bombers are kept going through the enthusiasm genetically written into their beings.

EASA (Europeans Against Sporting Aviation?) did win a victory I believe when DC3/C47 aircraft were suddenly no longer able to carry passengers. Is this true?
EASA (Europeans Against Sporting Aviation?) did win a victory I believe when DC3/C47 aircraft were suddenly no longer able to carry passengers. Is this true?

Rule making cock up in the early days later sorted out as I recall....
Rob P wrote:Worth a flood of emails to BBC R4 "Feedback"?

It broadcasts later today so contact over the weekend would mean the topic would be considered early for next week's broadcast

Rob P

Probably better to let it quietly fade away and die. It won't influence work at Coningsby in any event.

I have sent a formal complaint to the BBC Trustees which will be circulated round BBC management and presenters today, 'cos that's how their system works.
MichaelP liked this
Same here on the complaint front - I made a complaint yesterday and if you tick the box and give your email, they have to respond to you, I am not saying they will listen, but at least they have to go through the motions.

I think it is important to complain to the BBC, as said they may not listen, but we need to stand up against poor reporting and the inability of presenters to learn a bit about the subject before making wild accusations. We do not have a Trump here (* see below), but to maintain democracy and freedom we must be eternally vigilant. We need to be able to trust news sources and at the very least the BBC otherwise all news will become fake news.

With aviation, our hobby is always under risk, if false perceptions and alternative facts pushed by overpaid loud-mouths are allowed to go unchallenged (even if the outcome of the programme is broadly positive of which there was no guarantee), then when another Shoreham happens, we will find our hobby steamrolled by politicians and protesters without a second thought. Side point - are Hunters still grounded?

* (although the harsher version of Brexit we are currently pursuing is kind of the same - 52% voted Brexit, of those only something like 25% wanted to exit single market completely - so 25% got their way over the desires of the majority. In the US only 27% of registered voters voted for Trump).
Forgot to add: hats off to chap from Biggin Hill who did a really good job of responding, diffusing and presenting the voice of reason. I called in and quickly realised that I would be too angry and too emotional to be the defence that was needed. Its not easy going on these programmes unrehearsed and facing a presenter who spends everyday sharpening his spear to stab people with. So chap from Biggin Hill really did a great job, we need more like him.

I missed his name so if anyone here knows him, please pass on my thanks.
Last edited by Bob_pipedream on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelP liked this
For many years, Jeremy Vine's voice and music for the Archers have both tested my reactions just as well as a rubber hammer does in my medical.
Irv Lee wrote:For many years, Jeremy Vine's voice and music for the Archers have both tested my reactions just as well as a rubber hammer does in my medical.

Oh no! Now you've done it, thanks very much...

Dah dee dah dee dah dee dah dah dah dee dah dee dah dah... The Archer's tune is playing away in my mind... Still on at 16:00 on Radio Four?
hatzflyer wrote:Every bit of film on last night's news featured footage of the Bleinham. ????

If they can put Griffins in Chipmunks why don't they re equip the Spits with Avons ?

Simples.....

It would be fun to actually release a press release to say that they are going to :roll:

2 spelling mistakes; see me.