Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lots of really good stuff, but the bit that particularly caught my eye (Cub, you tease! :D ) was this:

CAA wrote:The transmission of weather data from the ground direct to a GA aircraft cockpit via 978MHz. This trial is being undertaken by an equipment manufacturer (uAvionix) and aeronautical information service provider (SkyDemon). In the longer term this system may also assist drones in safely integrating into the UK's airspace.

Just in case not everybody clicks through to the link, there's a survey that the CAA request we take. It is here.

CAA wrote:The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has confirmed its commitment to ADS-B in/out on 1090 MHz as the national system for electronic conspicuity.

We are already working with the General Aviation (GA) community and equipment manufacturers to develop an integrated electronic surveillance solution for both air and ground use.

To help base these developments on GA pilot’s requirements we would welcome your responses to this short survey by Friday 29 September 2017.

It's a fairly clear and well articulated set of questions that takes only a few minutes to complete.
Last edited by Dave W on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cub, Tim Dawson, gaznav and 1 others liked this
By riverrock
978MHz is of course the frequency used by UAT in the USA. Very interesting. I wonder how they are getting it past EASA - or is that study confined to a lab?
Of course, without the TIS-B uplink (and associated infrastructure) we shouldn't even contemplate UAT (as those using normal transponders wouldn't know about the UAT broadcasting aircraft).
By T67M
A great announcement, especially as it mentions support for FIS-B on 978MHz. Excellent progress!

That said, it is a great shame that TIS-B is not mentioned, and that it is unclear whether US-compatible 978UAT devices will be compatible. I fear you will need 1090-out, 978-in which excludes the vast majority of UAT devices which do 978-out as well.
By Dave W
There is the opportunity to comment along those lines in the survey if one wishes.

It does not appear that there is a definitive solution being proposed; both the announcement, the planned trials and the survey suggest that this is the requirements capture phase - so there's nothing to stop us identifying any or all of that as a requirement aspiration.

To me, that seems a logical order of doing things.
As a former CAA employee, who put a lot of effort into championing technology, I'm delighted to read such a positive statement.

What slightly baffles me is, what changed to open the door to this new initiative? I wasn't alone in pushing for change and many former colleagues were (are) far better qualified to put the arguments forward.

It makes me doubt my persuasiveness having failed to move elements of the organisation I could talk to in this direction.

I note a new name in the press release with a new job title, so if he'd like a pint on me I'll gladly stand a round. (As opposed to certain people who stood around!)
Last edited by CloudHound on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAA in Ian's post wrote: <snip>The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) today confirmed that ADS-B 'in/out' using 1090 MHz is its preferred national system to improve electronic conspicuity for general aviation</snip>

That sounds a very good idea. Will the various technologies like FLARM etc be integrated?
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Currently it's working to the US spec. That means if anyone has already purchased a device which receives FIS-B on 978mhz and connects to an app like SkyDemon via a GDL90 link (such as the SkyEcho), they'll get the benefit of the data (once we start broadcasting publicly).

Cub, Straight Level, bogopper and 11 others liked this
By Cub
I imagine there is a 'definitive solution' in mind based upon lessons already learnt around the world, however, having respected industry groups involved in the trialling of various aspects and capabilities of the protocol, is a very sensible way to develop and deploy a solution.

Involving and consulting the community is also vital to gain user feedback and ultimately acceptance. One thing that is clear is that TIS-B is probably not sustainable if you are serious about integrating large numbers of airframes, including UAS operations into a limited part of the spectrum, indeed TIS may not even be necessary if you accept the concept that your airframe represents the best possible surveillance platform to sense other activity around you.

I would think, nothing is off the agenda, but the industry definitely required some clear direction as to which protocol was going to be promoted and developed for true interoperability and that is now defined.

Exciting times!
gaznav, Dave W, shortwing liked this
By Dave W
Tim Dawson wrote:...(once we start broadcasting publicly).

Oh, look: the word "if" is missing. :D

:bounce:

Ok, I'm realistic enough to know that hefty females exercising their vocal chords need to take precedence, but the fact this sort of wording is already being used makes me think: Something tells me we're into something good. (Hang on: Perhaps that's what she'll be singing...)

Seriously, I think this could be really, really good news (obviously it's already good news) especially if we can use US standard hardware thereby accessing the economies of scale that would suggest.
shortwing, scottish_ppl liked this