Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cub wrote:...a healthy degree of cynicism about diminishing value of contributions to the forum.

I agree with this.

The forum used to be a great mix of banter, considered discussion and hard information from people in a position to know, who were known as being in a position to know. All generally -or at least, mostly - in good humour.

It is becoming less and less like that. The Dementors make more noise than the Wizards sometimes.

Several times in the last several months I've tried drafting a Non-Av post along those lines but have always stalled, because I am not sure what we can do about it. Self-policing doesn't work well enough.
rats404, rikur_, Waveflyer and 2 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
I suppose it's the impetuosity of youth that makes one hyper critical of a programme that deals with a topic that one is intimately involved with.

I can remember being the same many years ago with hospital/medical programmes.

Now I just keep my gob shut and nod sagely.

It'll come , chaps....

Peter :wink:
Norjet, kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Dave W wrote:
Cub wrote:...a healthy degree of cynicism about diminishing value of contributions to the forum.

I agree with this.

The forum used to be a great mix of banter, considered discussion and hard information from people in a position to know, who were known as being in a position to know. All generally -or at least, mostly - in good humour.

It is becoming less and less like that. The Dementors make more noise than the Wizards sometimes.

Several times in the last several months I've tried drafting a Non-Av post along those lines but have always stalled, because I am not sure what we can do about it. Self-policing doesn't work well enough.

You're so right, Dave: After the recent 'low level deviation from stable approach' thread I was quite taken aback by the level of abusive and inaccurate vitriol heaped on me by PM from all quarters, largely by people who I don't know from a bar of soap.

Shame really: It won't stop me coming here, though .

Peter :thumleft:
Waveflyer liked this
I watched it, as someone doing my PPL training, I enjoyed how it was presented - ultimately if it encourages people into flying then a lot of the first timers will get their first taste in general aviation through the flying clubs and airfields we are supporting, then that should be a great thing for everyone!
By rikur_
Quick curiosity question....
A couple of times in last night's programme there was the scenario where the P2 wasn't authorised to undertake the landing (approach too complex, or too much cross wind) and if I understood correctly in one case the P2 was relatively experienced. Is that sort of restriction normal?
In my time at BA, I did dozens (if not more) jump seat flights and I never recall coming across the scenario where the P2 wasn't authorised to undertake the landing - perhaps I was just oblivious to it.
All this talk of parental finance etc... I remember when, as I think briefly mentioned on the programme, the airlines paid for the training of their ab-initio pilots.

It was a retrograde step when they got away with shifting the burden on to the prospective employee. Even more so with the pay to fly schemes operated by some as I understand it.

I fear the larger ATC employers may ultimately go the same way.
Different airlines have different policies regarding restrictions. It is not unusual to be limited to a certain fraction of the aircraft's crosswind limit until you have a certain number of hours on type. Certain runways, approaches or airfields that are particularly challenging may be restricted to Captains only landings; Funchal, Gibraltar and some of the Greek Islands spring to mind.

Most airlines also require all low visibility operations to be flown by the Captain.
rikur_ liked this