Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
TLRippon wrote:.. Irv seems to attract numpties like flies...

.. flies are excellent aviators, rarely having midairs .. :)

[I have never deliberately left xpdr off or on STBY, but am aware that I have done so inadvertently a few times. :oops: I had been flying ~15 years before I flew a xpdr-equipped aircraft, and that was in the US ..]
Lockhaven wrote:
James Chan wrote:
but in uncontrolled airspace and outside a TMZ (look it up Rob) it is not mandatory.

It is above FL100, and it soon will be below FL100 (if fitted).

Frankly I'm fed up with those who turn it off deliberately for no good reason.

Mmmm, how do you know they have deliberately turned it off if it wasn't on in the first place ?

I flew with someone (an instructor!) who, on exiting a TMZ, said 'No talk, no squawk' and turned the transponder off. Sample size of one I know, but not very impressive and possibly a technique communicated to his students too…

Ian
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:
riverrock wrote:I was taught LUFT passing 1000 feet / leaving the circuit: Lights (off), Undercarriage (up), Fuel pump (off), Transponder on.

Why do we want lights on for take-off? Especially if we're going to turn them off at 1000'?

My lights stay off, unless landing in the dark. Reduces the chances of electrical fires...

Its a generic check - I don't turn lights on for a day take off (only anti-col on) so when I check them (during the day) they are still off.
I tend to use lights when required rather than by default on as in normal daylight nav lights aren't effective anyway - they put a pointless strain on the electrical system and have to be replaced more often. So I turn them on, for example, when visibility is a bit poorer, or if in a busier uncontrolled circuit.
Also annoying if doing a night sortie and one doesn't work, so why use them when they aren't effective?
I can understand that LEDs have a lower electrical impact and they last considerably longer, so you may as well use them.
By Dave W
kanga wrote:.. flies are excellent aviators, rarely having midairs .. :)

Unlike bees....

(It's a myth that the common quote about bees being unable to fly was about aerodynamics. Obviously it's about their airmanship.)
kanga liked this
My post was mainly tongue-in-cheek, but the question is valid. Climbing from the runway to 1000' is, I would have thought, the time in any flight when you are *least* likely to need to be conspicuous - even someone trying to land the wrong way won't see you as your lights point down. So I am puzzled as to why turning the lights on and then turning them off again is a key part of many people's departure check lists.

My lights are not bright enough (apart from the strobe) to be seen before the plane in daylight. Nor are anyone else's. And they often fail, and pop the breaker, while night flying, which is inconvenient. And leads me to wonder if there is actually an electrical fault which may cause fire.
Ridders liked this
By skydriller

Really....well the front end of Stuttgarts finest tells me a different story following yesterday afterrnoons shakedown, as does the windscreen and leading edges of our Aeroclub Robin...
“Why do those with transponders not use them? It is in all of our interests that we do. “

I am a long time campaigner to get people to turn Xpd's on but the fact is that some pilots are scared that if they make a small mistake and are transporting they will get caught and get into bother. Unfortunately, there is some evidence to support this in CAA prosecutions and many instructors know this and tend to be quite reticent about using transponders, this gets passed on to students and so on.

Rod1
By Ridders
matthew_w100 wrote:
riverrock wrote:Why do we want lights on for take-off? Especially if we're going to turn them off at 1000'?

My lights stay off, unless landing in the dark. Reduces the chances of electrical fires...
Strange, my LED light is on all the time, from takeoff to landing. I know it helps with visibility in daylight head on situations, indeed someone on here a while back noted they had seen my light as I hurtled opposite direction at him near farnborough.

I believe people turn them off to 'save the bulb'. Some have even been known to fit 28v bulb on a 12v system to prolong the life....

An electrical fire is something that can be dealt with and I would think is very unlikely, a head on is something that could spoil the day and you may not be able to do anything about it...

My view, bung the light on ! It might save yer life.

(And get the breaker/circuit checked as it shouldn't trip...)
T67M, Paul_Sengupta, Straight Level and 1 others liked this
By Ridders
TLRippon wrote:.

I wonder who these people are, I don't think I have ever met one of them. I know Irv seems to attract numpties like flies according to his posts but where are the rest all coming from.
I flew an exam and the examiner turned off the transponder Alt. I was shocked.
By James Chan
Unfortunately, there is some evidence to support this in CAA prosecutions and many instructors know this and tend to be quite reticent about using transponders, this gets passed on to students and so on.

I would point them at CAP 1404 which has really clarified various rumours and myths as to how they'd deal with it.
By Cub
I think the CAA can demonstrate that they have turned their thinking to the fact that the transponder, particularly with Mode C selected and ADS-B out enabled, is an especially effective safety net in mitigating the mid-air collision and infringement safety risks.

The recently re-published CAP 1404, Airspace Infringements, review and action processes, reiterates the use of a transponder with Mode C as a part of the Assessment Criteria when determining action for an infringing pilot;

Assessment criteria

Was radar separation lost?
Was there service disruption, e.g. avoiding action issued, aircraft broken off approach, aircraft instructed to enter a hold or aircraft departures stopped on the ground?
What were the airspace structures and complexity?
What were the prevailing flight conditions?
Was the flight a visual flight rules (VFR) flight?
What pre- flight planning did the pilot do?
Was the transponder used and was Mode C selected?
Did the pilot respond to radio calls?
Did the pilot ask for help?
What licence and ratings does the pilot hold?
What was the pilot’s level of experience?
Has the pilot infringed airspace before?
Does the incident suggest that the pilot’s skills are deficient?
What is the pilot’s attitude towards and understanding of the event?
Has the pilot subsequently undertaken any remedial training?

Conversely, with the adoption of SERA C and the legal requirement to operate a fitted transponder, I suspect you will see more punitive action directed at those detected as not operating such an effective safety system.
Ridders, Tim Dawson liked this
Dave W wrote:

Unlike bees....

(It's a myth that the common quote about bees being unable to fly was about aerodynamics. Obviously it's about their airmanship.)

Yes, but that is clearly the fault of the two bees landing downwind, they clearly misread the crosswind-join thread :lol:
Dave W, nallen, Ridders and 3 others liked this
Ridders wrote:
TLRippon wrote:.

I wonder who these people are, I don't think I have ever met one of them. I know Irv seems to attract numpties like flies according to his posts but where are the rest all coming from.
I flew an exam and the examiner turned off the transponder Alt. I was shocked.

Me too.

"I don't like to be watched"