Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By neilmurg
I've had a go in Rob P's 6 (thanks Rob, but that headset was a steal, you owe me 1). I'd like a share in a 7 (Esher/Fairoaks/Blackbushe) or an 8 (no one I'm related to really likes to fly with me). So, please message me...
Also very happy with the Fuji share and the Rockwell Commander, so if I can't find a Vans I'll be OK, ish.
Rob P, you took a Beechcraft to France / Italy? Why not the 6? (genuine question, just curious, PM [or ignore] if you'd prefer)
By hatzflyer
Just an update, I've had a bit of a difficult year. I did put the RV up for sale in a low point but yet again I saw sense and just about stopped myself from selling it.
Usage was quite low by my standards for the last 12 months . It goes without saying that the more you fly the more it costs at some point you are going to get some bills. This year has seen more than usual costs and less flying hours .

However I am happy to report that I still have it , it is in good serviceable condition and I am looking forward to getting some good trips in !
Prior to the rv4's ( I've had 2 ) I have never kept an aircraft for more than a few months. I have owned well over 100 aircraft but I have now amassed getting on for 10 years of RV4 ownership . That must say something !
I swear at it when it goes wrong , not the easiest thing to work on at times but I still love my RV ! :D
PeteSpencer, mick w, Flyin'Dutch' and 5 others liked this
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
2Donkeys couldn't fit in it.

To be totally fair the aircraft fitted him like a glove.

There was however a small issue with full and free.

Rob P
Bobcro liked this
By GolfHotel
hatzflyer wrote:.....
Prior to the rv4's ( I've had 2 ) I have never kept an aircraft for more than a few months. I have owned well over 100 aircraft but I have now amassed getting on for 10 years of RV4 ownership . That must say something !
I swear at it when it goes wrong , not the easiest thing to work on at times but I still love my RV ! :D

That tells a story.

I took a friend flying in the 7. After 4000 hrs he had never really looked at RV's. Anyway that was last year. Hes now halfway through building a 7.
By gyrotyro
I am also interested in what the potential owners of the Europa were saying about their aircrafts performance not being as described.

My Tri-gear does 120kts cruise but will do 130kts if required without exceeding engine limitations. Fuel burn is 18-20 LPH.

What's wrong with that?
By hatzflyer
It's not so much that a Europa CAN do 130 knots balls to the wall It's more that my 4 economic cruise at those numbers is almost as economic as the Europa . However my RV4 will do 200 knots balls to the wall. Punching into a headwind it will always take less time than the Europa at only slightly more fuel burn for the same distance. In other words it is about the same.
The best groundspeed that I have had with it is 226 knots. On the other hand I often fly with my mates in formation with their Jodels. My fuel burn is about the same as theirs then.
There is another plus to the RV. It will get around showers / rain fairly quikely if I am caught out .

I was led to believe that a Europa could match those figures , but research revealed that their original sales blurb suggested that their original claims were somewhat exaggerated. :pale:
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
hatzflyer wrote: .. but I still love my RV ! :D
So do I :thumleft:
It is a lovely aircraft Hatz and thanks for that hooning about we did from Nuthampstead that time. Yes I fit, yes I want one :D
hatzflyer liked this
By Miscellaneous
hatzflyer wrote:On the other hand I often fly with my mates in formation with their Jodels.

From what I've seen you are surely using the word 'with' rather loosely? :wink:
Although I do get the impression it's your own lack of will power, rather than the aircraft's lack of ability. :mrgreen:
By Maxthelion
I've recently tried a Europa for the first time thanks to a generous owner. It's fast for something that isn't an RV, but the Jab 6 in it is somewhat thirsty, even if it's very smooth and nice sounding. It's a much quieter and more refined machine to cruise around in than our RV-8, but I the RV is so much aeroplane, i.e. does so much stuff so well, that they'll have to prize the stick out of my cold dead hands before I give it up. I also flew in a very well built RV-7 recently, and that was lovely, a real cruiser and much more refined than our 8, which is more workhorse than concors.
By john ball
I own a 6, because my wife takes an active part in the flying, by changing frequencies, monitoring temps, pressures, sharing map, looking at GPS and looking out. For me side by side is far better. But, if I was single or had a wife that did not like flying, I would have an 8 as it is far more macho fighter like, especially as it is left hand on throttle, right hand on stick - the proper way. But still think the passenger is second class citizen in the back.