Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Foie Gras
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hmmm, some interesting numbers - makes the
By MichaelP
It's a question of money really...

If you've got the money, get the Aztec!

If you don't have the money, why would you buy or rent a TB20? There's a lot of much better aeroplanes to choose from.
Probably you want to look at a Comanche, or Twin Comanche, or a Robin with a better performance with fixed gear!

I haven't flown a TB20, but I have flown the TB10 :shock: , and I have flown the Aztec :D
I'd trust an Aztec anywhere, in any situation, over a TB, any day!
And you can whistle the tune from 633 Squadron while you go :twisted:
By 2Donkeys
I haven't flown a TB20, but I have flown the TB10

Chalk and Cheese old chap.
By Flyin'Dutch'
The 20 is a completely different beast to the 10 although the airframe and producer are the same.

There are many good reason to buy a TB or not.

If you did not like the 10 for its somewhat anaemic performance, you would short change yourself by dismissing the 20 out of hand.

If you don't like the look of them, the gull wing doors, or French manufacturers then the larger one won't float your boat either.
By Timothy
When I had a share in a TB9 it was the internal size that I liked, compared to most SEPs.
By SATCO Biggin
Having had more than a little experience in all three TB's I think they are ok, but like any craft they have their ups and downs.

The -9's and -10's didn't benefit from the fact that the basic airframe was designed from the outset to be a -20. Take the cowlings of the little ones and you find a 4 pot engine hung on a ludicrously long engine mount to make room for the bigger 6 pot version. Look under the centre section and there is a stonking great curved panel which if you take it off exposes a huge void where the gear retracts on the -20.

So the little ones were dragging an oversized fuselage around which the manufacturers tried to get around by offering the 'cut down' TB9 Club variant to help performance, or an uprated 200hp version of the -10 called the TB200. The TB10 is a great aeroplane if you do not fill it up with people, fuel and bags.

The -20 is good, perhaps very good, but also perhaps more plasticky than the opposition sold at the time they originaklly came on the market. I wish they had stuck standard doors on the things rather than the gull wings. :shock:
By 2Donkeys
HAving owned a TB10, TB20 and TB21, I think that's a very fair evaluation SATCO. The TB20 is easily the best of the bunch.