Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
ChampChump wrote:Dan Snow on 'bloody April' and more. I've not heard any of this before and can recommend it. Cecil Lewis particularly, remembering the flying and Albert Ball.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08yrs0t

Thanks for that.
Utterly beautiful their eloquent use of the English language - which is so wonderfully of the time.

I grew up with the WWI generation.

I was tortured something awfully by my elders when it came to decorum and civility, and the proper use of English - even though we were all heathen Scots.
pilotbarry, ChampChump liked this
Maybe it was classed as "normal" - but we learned WWi poems, WWI language and even invented our own speeches using the language of the time.

We were absolutely sure this had nothing to do with our class learning objectives.
The "oldies" were an amazing bunch. THB they didn't say a single word about the realities of WWI warfare,

After doing a very enjoyable show for some elders - some of the older officers started teaching us the songs they learned - when they were young-uns in front during WWI.

I tried hard to have those songs recorded. My Scout officer didn't want to as it was considered bad manners. I seriously regret not being the idiot who ignored the WO
ChampChump liked this
By ChampChump
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Presumably a reference to the need now to sign in to use iPlayer. This is ostensibly so the BBC can then offer you all sorts of other programmes 'you might like'. Feedback, asked why on behalf of some listeners and received rather predictable responses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08v8vgp

Sorry, I think that's an iPlayer link...
I suppose pointing out that in order to own a TV you already have to sign in by buying a licence will have little effect on those keen to portray this as some gross violation of their privacy?

Rob P
kanga wrote:
ChampChump wrote:... I would get a radio licence if there was one.

I'm old enough to have needed to have one, as a student (and did!)

Car radio licences must have been abolished about 1968 'cos I remember I just 'missed out' having to get one when I bought my second car which had a radio.
It is bad enough if -- as George Orwell put it -- "the TV is watching you"; but when the radio does it as well...

I don't need the Beeb to tell me or suggest to me "what other programmes I might like to watch or listen to". I see that as an invasion of my private sphere. Additional programmes would bust my time budget. No thanks.

Luckily, seek and ye shall find.....
Nick liked this
Just over 10 years ago here in time-warp Belgium, my wife got fined for not having a car radio license.

For a car she no longer owned (and had done all the necessary paperwork)

From a region she no longer lived in.She had deregistered in the old region and re-registered in the new region as is required by law

She challenged it via the inter-regional Ombudsman.

The inter-regional Ombudsman said that technically my wife was correct, but Wallonia would still drag my wife through the courts - costing her significantly more, as even when found successful she couldn't claim back her legal costs.

Apparently there was an obscure local Govt ruling that said she should have sent a separate registered letter to some unheard of office to say she had sold her car and left the region. This little money spinning gotcha wasn't notified to any car owners etc - you're just meant to have spent the majority of your life reading every minor technical change in local, regional and national law.

I sometimes think that Douglas Adams must have spent time in Belgium....
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:...you're just meant to have spent the majority of your life reading every minor technical change in local, regional and national law.

Ah, now I see what attracted you to General Aviation. :wink:
nallen, Pete L, kanga and 1 others liked this