Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I think a lot of people are being very uncharitable here.

Cranfield is an airfield which for various reasons have suffered a lot of problems in recent years.

The university who own it, who are doubtless losing a great deal of money on the airfield, have gone out and brought in tens of millions of pounds in research investment that will be centred on that airfield, and now propose to appoint a high quality aviation professional to co-ordinate that research with the airport, and hopefully sort out the many problems that all the locals know still exist there. The name given as the contact for people interested is Professor Graham Braithwaite, a hellishly clever aviation professional himself.

I think that the future of Cranfield airport will probably live or die on the quality of the person appointed to this job - which will be a tough job, and critical one. But this seems to me a very positive move that has every potential to solve a lot of problems there, and move it back to being the bloody good place to operate from that it used to be.

I really hope that some high quality people apply for that post, and the airport gets somebody there who'll really make a difference, and is empowered to do so. We should all hope for this, as Cranfield site has historically contributed a huge amount to GA, and has potential to do so again.

G
G-JWTP liked this
Couldn't agree more GtE.

And I know a number of suitable candidates who would bring fantastic experience, talent, drive and directorial skill to the post.

Trouble is they all earn way more than £66k.

For me, it's joining two very different areas of responsibility that makes the package unattractive. Separate the aerodrome/ANSP role from the flying and both will attract the right sort of people from each sphere, though I still think the money on offer is a bit thin.
GtE I entirely agree with your comments and would suggest that if other posters have any interest in this subject then they should first read the News Releases published by the University that clearly show where the £ Millions are being invested. Executive and GA aviation are part of the long term plan but have to be financially viable. Meanwhile it is what it is.