Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Can anybody clarify the position on this?

I would like to take our Chipmunk, which is on a Permit to Fly, to France. The LAA have sent me their standard leaflets that confirm a blanket permit to fly UK home-built a/c in France but is unhelpful on factory built vintage a/c. Their leaflet includes one link that is broken and another to a French site that is beyond my schoolboy level French.

Anybody done this recently or can refer me to appropriate "official" guidance. Any help appreciated - assuming the wx improves we would like to go in August.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's probably best not to clarify... ;-)

Ok, let me just say that France have a list of acceptable factory built permit aircraft. But their authorities don't seem to know about this, and the list was drawn up before the dH/Beagle fleet went on a permit. Officially I think you need permission from the DGAC but no one bothers. They specifically exclude ex-military aircraft in their blanket permission, but then on the other hand say that if the aircraft has held a C of A then it's not officially counted as an ex-military aircraft any more...

There's a Chipmunk/Bulldog meet every year at Abbeville.

Make sure you take your exemption certificate or a copy thereof if your aircraft is in military markings and doesn't have the civil reg on it. That was the only thing that sparked the interest of the gendarmes for my Bulldog.

Right, ok, after having looked back through the forum, the aforementioned list is here:

https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Liste_GB_autorises_en_FRA_12082014.pdf

More details here:

https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/en/foreign-aircraft
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No. Belgium exempts:
-all homebuilts, and
- aircraft which had a CofA and are now operated under a national permit to fly or a restricted CofA
-
(a)historic aircraft meeting the criteria below:
(i) non-complex aircraft whose:
— initial design was established before 1 January 1955, and
— production has been stopped before 1 January 1975;
(the exact wording included in Annex II of EU 216/2008)
- a MTOW of <5700kg
- not operated on commercially
One of our lot (pre-1950 military aircraft) got caught over his radio licence once in France...all the docs were in the tech log but pilots will be pilots and he'd removed it to look at and hadn't replaced the current one in the appropriate section. All got sorted out with a little arm-waving :)

Bit daft really as the licence only permits one to broadcast in the UK anyway :?