Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I agree, but we are hoping that the perps are not the sharpest tool in the kit. Plus they may use a phone to look for IR lights, or wifi security systems. Perhaps the vehicle has built in wifi.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is another way to possibly identify the scrotes.

Everyone nods and winks about GCHQ being able to do things, but how many switch the phone off now?
By kanga
IANAL, but AIUI:

any official or agent of any part of 'Government' at any echelon (Parish Council to Central Government), to do anything which might intrude on the 'right to privacy in personal or family life' guaranteed by Human Rights Act in compliance with ECHR, must have prior Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act authority from an appropriately senior person after legal consultation. This means that OP (not an agent of government) may freely do otherwise legal things which may intrude on a stranger's privacy which agents of actual government (eg local police to agencies governed by Intelligence Services Act ) are not allowed (or are allowed only after complex procedures involving possibly very senior people) to do, even if they might have the theoretical technical capability.

[a constraint on the activities of government of which I approve, in principle; others may, of course, disagree]
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@kanga - the "loop hole" in practice is that private companies already collect much of this data, so the security services simply need to make the request (with appropriate authorisation) to obtain it ... no permission was required for it being collected in the first place.

I've been using this technology with a couple of transport clients to understand travelling patterns - a good example here (not one of my clients, but more interesting), and I know it's widely used in other sectors to understand e.g. how people flow round shopping centres .... different lawyers take differing stances as to whether this will still be legal under GDPR.
By kanga
Ah, thanks for clarification. But presumably any such police request would, in the course of seeking authorisation, have to be checked by appropriate legal experts as being compliant with the restrictions of RIPA.
By rikur_
kanga wrote:Ah, thanks for clarification. But presumably any such police request would, in the course of seeking authorisation, have to be checked by appropriate legal experts as being compliant with the restrictions of RIPA.

I suspect that bit varies. It is evident from the news that the 'big boys' - i.e. the likes of facebook, Google, Transport for London, etc at least occasionally check the legality of requests made of them for data.... I'm less clear if Bob's Buses have the process or the capability to do the same. The depot manager is used to police requests for CCTV footage, and then one day they ask for the WiFi logs .....
By Boswell
Revisting this thread after 4 years, I've found that available security kit has improved, and we've managed to install broadband via a Huawei simcard router offering usable speeds (18mbs down/8mbs up); nearest professional quote was north of £6k to link us to a nearby fibre consumer, so that saves a few bob. Interestingly internet performance inside steel-walled hangars is considerably better than the open air.

False alarms from our Honeywell Accenta are a nuisance to neighbours, but can potentially be checked with CCTV, although this system can't be operated remotely.

There are plenty of security systems on the market, but auto-diallers are elusive. (i.e. alarm to a landline phone, rather than a smartphone app).

Any leads to a remotely operated security system linked to an autodialler would be appreciated; reliable night CCTV would also be useful. Any recent experience?
What you are describing that you need, can be done by a Ring Security Camera (same company as Ring Video Doorbell). You can adjust sensitivity, zone covered and types of alerts/messages - can also have multiple people linked.
By Boswell
Rise Pilot: Thanks - Ring looks very much like Blink, Netatmo, Time2, which I've been trying out, without much success. They all work to some extent, but night performance varies from useless to mediocre. What I'm trying to solve is dealing with an alert at 3am, without having to leave a mobile phone live all night to monitor their apps, so it needs a warning either to a dedicated mobile or landline, and that's why I was researching autodiallers.

Marvin: Reolink looks interesting, thanks... I've asked for more info from their Hong Kong support.

Besides hangar interiors, we're also looking at cameras which can monitor "illegal" landings, taking short video clips to help with identification; Border Force are interested, for obvious reasons.