Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Good on him for making a successful precautionary landing. I do wonder if the ability to land almost anywhere gives the pilot the confidence to take off into weather that would see most of the rest of us sitting it out? It's commonly said (rightly or wrongly) about Cirrus pilots. Either way, it's still an impressive use of the machine's capabilities and kudos to the pilot for stopping a sequence of events that could easily have ended in a pile on a hillside, even if he did choose to go when others wouldn't.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As seen at Friedrichshafen this week, this guy is now offering bush flying trips around Scotland, using Glenforsa as a base. This would offer some extremely fun flying of a nature not really seen much before here in the UK, with the beauty of the Scottish west coast and the Glenforsa Hotel thrown in :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
Dave W wrote:From the info in the stand, I don't think many formally constituted strips come into it!

Looks a lot of fun. :D

It certainly does look a lot of fun. But, this is the UK, I'm not sure if there are areas of "wilderness" that are readily available for anyone to just drop into unannounced. It all belongs to someone.
Even though it looks like wilderness.
Formally constituted strips or not.
Please don't get me wrong, I'd love to do it, dump it on a hilltop, camp overnight, clear up after yourself and go somewhere else.
What would the local gamekeeper have to say?
How long before some hill walker reports a crash?
You land, make yourself a cup of coffee and find you are surrounded by ambulances, cops, firemen and well meaning mountain rescue teams.
Perhaps I'm too sceptical and I'd love to be corrected.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I believe (from the stand) that he has landowners' permission.

Certainly agree that rocking up announced is an absolute no-no, but there's no indication that is the case here.
That is the point I'm trying to make.
A "course" of bush flying for a week or what ever is all very well.
What next?
Can I practice what I've learned at my discretion afterwards?
Not without negotiations/PPR from the land owner.
Probably involving fixed areas to land in, telephone notice prior to etc.
The idea of getting a feel for the freedom is great, but, it would be very frustrating to realise that it is not a freedom available on an ad hoc basis.
Flying over Scotland a lot, I've seen numerous areas that would be quite easy to land/take off from.
But the hassle of having to PPR, to someone who doesn't understand what a light aircraft is capable of wouldn't be worth the effort, and impossible when you are currently overhead the spot.