Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sooty25
I'm trying to locate the rules relating to operating at airfields with parachute operations.

In particular who has priority, an aircraft in the circuit or a drop plane approaching at altitude for a drop.

I can't find anything in the ANO and the Skyway code just says stay away, difficult if it is your destination!

Any pointers?
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you've got two comms boxes, listen out on the local LARS provider working the jump a/c as well as local frequency (if there is one)

For example Lakenheath Radar for Chatteris and Norwich Approach for Beccles.

Lakenheath will give an 'all stations' broadcast as drop is about to commence.

That way you can follow the progress of the drop aircraft: If you hear the drop a/c 'running in' or ' one minute to drop' then you stay clear till you hear 'all canopies down.

Then it's reasonable to ask for landing.

But of course local procedures may apply, so find out from your destination before you depart what they are:

For example when parachuting used to take place at Old Buckenham which is A/G only , it was still necessary to ask for engine start up prior to departure when parachuting was in progress.

Peter
By Sooty25
Thanks chaps, I should have said I'm aware of the general/local procedures having tolerated them for some time now, I just wondered if they were formalised by an authority or just "Gentleman's agreement".
ISTR from '70s a tale, possibly apocryphal even then, of an airliner approaching Luton. Controller warned pilot that a parachute display drop at a parish fete within the Zone and near the Approach path had started prematurely. Pilot relied laconically "don't worry, I was at Arnhem .." :)
Dave W, Charles Hunt liked this
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unless some local agreement has been established by the airfield operator, I would suggest basic rules of the air apply.
1) Once jumpers / canopies are in the air - they have priority and you must give way to them.
2) When jump plane has left the ATZ (e.g. is in the climb to the drop altitude) and you are in the circuit to land - you are preparing to land and he has to give way to you.
3) If you are both outside the ATZ, you are both a/c operating in the open FIR and no priority exists.

Additionally,
4) The jump plane should not discharge his jumpers if he is over cloud and cannot positively confirm that there are no aircraft in the area to conflict with the jumpers. (But I know many do).
5) Good airmanship dictates that no aircraft should fly through a known / published drop zone (particularly if it is known that the jump plane is airborne).

(Rant mode On): One of my long standing hobby horses is that I don't think it is right or fair to have drop zones restricted 24x365 - just in case they choose to jump. Many jump zones only operate 15-30 days per year - yet the area is no go for 24x365. My view is that Drop Zones should be required to operate a radio frequency such that transiting pilots can easily obtain confirmation as to whether the zone is active or not. Some places make it easy - the jump plane and the DZ jump master are all on the airfield frequency (e.g. Dunkeswell / Headcorn) but many operate on the local LARS - or even CAS frequencies. There should be one published frequency for each drop zone - and everyone involved in any aviation in that vicinity should be on it, or monitoring it. (Rant Off)
I think a frequency has been 'set aside' for para DZs where no other frequency is in operation. Not sure what it is but 1xx.xxx seems to ring a bell.

That's incorrect - it is 129.9 Posting things like frequencies is probably best not done from memory
Echobeach liked this
Most of the major/larger dropzones operate 6 days a week. It is normal convention (in skydiving community) that they are closed on Mondays.

That said there is a difference between a normal dropzone and some of the recent "pop-up" tandem jump operations which you may see NOTAMs for.

Also to add, on way to "jump run" altitude the plane may level off at 5K to let "swoopers" jump out and then proceed to normal "jump run" altitude of 12-13K AGL for the rest of the load - so you could have two sets of parachutists in the air from one lift. Additionally, wingsuit flyers exit last and will have freefall time of about 2 1/2 minutes before opening their parachutes - and also cover greater distance.
It is sort of documented in the local aerodrome manual but is vague. No clear line of who has priority.

Outside of the aerodrome manual which a visitor may not have access to, if downwind, base or final,
and the Jump plane calls "5 minutes" or "running in",
am I legally obliged to depart the circuit or can I respond "Negative, G-XX continuing to land, suggest G-JUMP orbits"

As the lower aircraft, can I demand priority?
The standard DZ frequency is 129.9. Some will have their own A/G frequency as well which will be published. Sibson and a Headcorn are two that come straight to mind with two frequencies. Others will also be in CAS so could be working a third.

Standard rules of the air apply in mixed use, the canopies have the right of way once released. You will generally find that the jump aircraft will be given priority but if you wanted to be a barrack room lawyer you could argue standard rules of the air apply. Probably a good way to get your invite to use the airfield withdrawn but if you feel strongly enough then go for it.
By pands
Unless some local agreement has been established by the airfield operator, I would suggest basic rules of the air apply.
1) Once jumpers / canopies are in the air - they have priority and you must give way to them. CORRECT
2) When jump plane has left the ATZ (e.g. is in the climb to the drop altitude) and you are in the circuit to land - you are preparing to land and he has to give way to you. CORRECT
3) If you are both outside the ATZ, you are both a/c operating in the open FIR and no priority exists. CORRECT

Additionally,
4) The jump plane should not discharge his jumpers if he is over cloud and cannot positively confirm that there are no aircraft in the area to conflict with the jumpers. (But I know many do).

The pilot has one job - get to the right place, at the right time at the right height. It is the Jumpmaster that decides if anyone goes. If not, come down loaded. DZ control also have a say in this.

5) Good airmanship dictates that no aircraft should fly through a known / published drop zone (particularly if it is known that the jump plane is airborne).

Sensible - but there can be 10 mins from lift to drop so there is a window for other things to happen before canopies start opening. But once people are out of the door and in freefall it is probably wise to stay clear!

If you are interested have a look at the British Parachute Association website and download the pilot's manual.

Pands (once upon a time BPA Pilot and Examiner)
SteveC wrote:The standard DZ frequency is 129.9. Some will have their own A/G frequency as well which will be published. Sibson and a Headcorn are two that come straight to mind with two frequencies. Others will also be in CAS so could be working a third.

Standard rules of the air apply in mixed use, the canopies have the right of way once released. You will generally find that the jump aircraft will be given priority but if you wanted to be a barrack room lawyer you could argue standard rules of the air apply. Probably a good way to get your invite to use the airfield withdrawn but if you feel strongly enough then go for it.

Ah thanks, I knew there was one and the 1xx.xxx I quoted was from when my cadets helped out an Army para team years ago that team were using 1xx.xxx.
Beware however as 129.9 is a 'shared' frequency used at some gliding sites; you don't want to talk to a winch driver instead of a DZ controller do you? :twisted:

Your suggested frequency was incorrect. Posting things like frequencies is probably best not done from memory, as some people may use what they read on here and giving an incorrect frequency is no aid to safety