Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Morten,

I had a share in a wooden T67B and have flown a couple of T67Ms, one at Redhill about a year ago. Both were underwhelming.

A wooden one with 180 hp might have been interesting but never made it into production. Hangarage wise the wingspan ends up costing you too.

I've got loads of daydream hours in all sorts of big iron stuff but my lil' ol' Stinson is all I want. So I guess my advice would be to follow your dream where ever it takes you. (within budget and the 80/20 rule).

BTW I don't believe in reincarnation. But in a previous life I did. :roll:
Morten, AndyR liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
At some point in time I was contemplating a share in a JP. Problem is though, it would just have been used for the occasional blat. I figured that I wanted to do more bacon sarnie runs, gentle aeros, and some formation flying, so bought the Bulldog instead.
Rob P wrote:
Mr Bags wrote:
Surely as your wings in the next life will be on your back, you'll be a high wing flyer for all eternity!

With more time logged on The Shiny Colt than any other aeroplane I will be content to be a PA22 for eternity.

Rob P

Is "eternity" how long it takes you to get to Sywell in a PA22? :lol:
Maxthelion liked this
By MichaelP
I had a share in a wooden T67B and have flown a couple of T67Ms, one at Redhill about a year ago. Both were underwhelming

T67A was wood, a good basic aeros trainer, I had a few and bought two.
T67B was plastic, same engine, 200lbs heavier empty weight.

I had G BKTZ for a short while, solved a few of the snags it had, and really enjoyed it.
Crossed the channel upside down with occasional erections to replenish the fuel trap. "Hello Michael" as I passed a Fairchild 24 out of Biggin.
I did outside loops in this aeroplane.
They spoiled it with bigger engines, wing tanks, metal propellers...

Buy the aeroplane you'll fly the most, rent or get a share in an aeroplane you'll fly occasionally.
Didn't make it to the rally this weekend but note in an article published by Flyer that the type is being considered by the LAA.

Can anyone bring to light the predicted financial benefits to doing this? Maintenance being a significant proportion of the expected fixed costs being the most interesting area.

And then, someone talk me out of trying to set up a syndicate in Oxfordshire. Probably based outdoors at Enstone or Indoors at Bicester, where the fuel is cheaper.
By TopCat
Maxthelion wrote:I get that feeling of superiority too. However, to a man, I bet all of us who fly something that we feel is superior are actually feeling like we are having a superior flying experience, not that we are superior pilots.

Exactly. I get a small sense of this, as obviously Grummans are superior to Cessnas and Pipers.

In which context, at risk of going OT, for which, apols, I must share an RT exchange I had on the way into Shoreham last week for my 50 Hour. I'd got as far as Worthing pier, and someone local called up for departure in a Diamond Star. The conversation went as follows...

Shoreham: "Traffic is an AA5, routing inbound along the coast"
DA40: "Is that fixed wing or a helicopter?"
Shoreham: "Fixed wing"
DA40: "Never heard of it"

A minute or so later...
Shoreham: "G-TC, you may see a DA40 departing"

So it would of course have been rude not to reply...

Me: "Is that fixed wing or a helicopter?"
Shoreham (chuckling) : "Fixed wing"
Me: "Never heard of it"

I think I detected an actual snort from the A/G chap. I laughed again when the DA40 called up again to apologise for any offence caused, of which of course there was none at all, which I made clear immediately.

Of course, anyone that confuses a Grumman with a PA28 will be instantly challenged to a duel....
seanxair, Jon G4LJW, kanga and 2 others liked this
TopCat wrote:
Maxthelion wrote:I get that feeling of superiority too. However, to a man, I bet all of us who fly something that we feel is superior are actually feeling like we are having a superior flying experience, not that we are superior pilots.

Exactly. I get a small sense of this, as obviously Grummans are superior to Cessnas and Pipers.

In which context, at risk of going OT, for which, apols, I must share an RT exchange I had on the way into Shoreham last week for my 50 Hour. I'd got as far as Worthing pier, and someone local called up for departure in a Diamond Star. The conversation went as follows...

Shoreham: "Traffic is an AA5, routing inbound along the coast"
DA40: "Is that fixed wing or a helicopter?"
Shoreham: "Fixed wing"
DA40: "Never heard of it"

A minute or so later...
Shoreham: "G-TC, you may see a DA40 departing"

So it would of course have been rude not to reply...

Me: "Is that fixed wing or a helicopter?"
Shoreham (chuckling) : "Fixed wing"
Me: "Never heard of it"

I think I detected an actual snort from the A/G chap. I laughed again when the DA40 called up again to apologise for any offence caused, of which of course there was none at all, which I made clear immediately.

Of course, anyone that confuses a Grumman with a PA28 will be instantly challenged to a duel....

Do these ultra quiet AA5/DA40 aircraft that should be seen and not heard for noise abatement get noise preferential routes for quicker access to the cake? :wink: